Author Topic: Curare ARTF  (Read 13959 times)

Offline Jon Tappin

• Intermediate Class Poster
Re: Curare ARTF
« Reply #30 on: 02, February 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
I finished the model yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with a final dry weight of 6lbs 7oz, I am sure I have read somewhere that Hanno's original was around 8 1/2 lbs!

This is with a 1300 lipo and reg, a 52 with pipe and electric retracts. Cg is bang on the rear of the suggested range with the rx battery just behind the canopy. This definately supports the suggestion not to use an 'old school' 61 as Bill mentioned above.

Really looking forward to getting it in the air now  :)

Sam

The kit comes with a standard plastic beam engine mount for IC, and a light ply box for electric power which bolts to the same holes predrilled for the IC mount. So it would actually be relatively easy to change between the 2 if required.

Jon

Offline Charles Smitheman

« Reply #31 on: 05, June 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
As I started this thread I feel it needs some conclusion:
At last I can report some progress with my (electric) Curare, I have flown it a number of times now, and it is a pleasure to fly. It is a very smooth flyer, looping maneuvers are really accurate.
I am still moving the CG backwards, so hope for some improvement in the low speed knife edge performance, as it does run out of rudder if flown too slowly. There is no roll coupling at all with the rudder.
It will only spin with a bit of aileron input, which suggests a forward cg, although I am some way behind the recommended setting, and the rudder throw is maxed out.
The flaps are remarkably effective, landings are slow and easy even on our never to dry out strip!

I used the old Rohm Air retracts, I found that silicone spray lubricant  works fine, they held pressure for 24 hours under test, and their operation has been flawless.

The coupled snap flaps make square and triangle loops easy to perform.

Full throttle slow rolls are a delight, it certainly eats up the sky. I had to get used to flying faster again with it compared to modern models.

Charles

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #32 on: 05, June 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
Hi Charles,
re Curare rudder response -  have had 3 Curares in the 7/80's. Theres not enough side area to fly knife edge slowly. All that happens is drag increases with more rudder & the model falls out of knife edge.
Saw Prettner fly his model at the Euros & even his was very 'ruddery' in knife edge  - so don't worry too much about it. Also using aileron in the spin is quite normal on tthe Curare.
Stuart
« Last Edit: 05, June 2014, 04:31:47 PM by Stuart Mellor »

Offline Bill Michie

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #33 on: 06, June 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
I've found the same Charles............
K/E NEEDS to be flown fast as Stuart says, it's not anywhere near a modern design ref side area! Slow rolls through two Counties are a delight, as is playing with the Snap-flaps. Now just need to finish getting the engine fully sorted & run-in.
Enjoy!

Bill

Offline Charles Smitheman

« Reply #34 on: 06, June 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
Yes Bill and Stuart, as you say.
And being electric it does not even have the side area of a tuned pipe out in the breeze. This might make some difference. It is just a matter of getting used to it: more power!

The Curare does have the ability to put a huge smile on my face. It is a most satisfying model to fly.

Charles

Offline Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Judge
« Reply #35 on: 26, September 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Had a quick look in W H Smiths today and noticed that RC Model World has a review of this Curare in it. Just in case anybody is wanting to have a look at one of these models.

Offline Alan Williams

• GBRCAA Member
  • Flying Class: Clubman Pilot
« Reply #36 on: 29, September 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
And at the moment they are reduced to 229 euros on the Austrian website with free delivery. That's less than £180 with current ex rate. Bargain

Offline Sam Wragg

• Advanced Class Poster
« Reply #37 on: 22, October 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
I finished the model yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with a final dry weight of 6lbs 7oz, I am sure I have read somewhere that Hanno's original was around 8 1/2 lbs!

This is with a 1300 lipo and reg, a 52 with pipe and electric retracts. Cg is bang on the rear of the suggested range with the rx battery just behind the canopy. This definately supports the suggestion not to use an 'old school' 61 as Bill mentioned above.

Really looking forward to getting it in the air now  :)

Sam

The kit comes with a standard plastic beam engine mount for IC, and a light ply box for electric power which bolts to the same holes predrilled for the IC mount. So it would actually be relatively easy to change between the 2 if required.

Jon

Hi Jon

I have read you excellent article in Model World  and after ripping up the sky with mine for the past 4 months I would just like to ad...

For the electric version I recommend using an 13x10e Apc instead of the recommended props, the performance is phenomenal

JetCraft Retracts......

Cant fault the units apart from the 4mm wire legs. Once bent they become soft as the proverbial (sub standard foreign metal). I finished up making my own out of 'proper' piano wire....... Problem solved.

ATB

Sam

Offline Jon Tappin

« Reply #38 on: 22, October 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
Thanks for the input Sam and the nice comments!

So far I haven't had a problem with the retract legs, I think I have only had to bend them once since I've had it, that's flying off a grass strip after around 3 gallons. I will see what the future brings.

Regards

Jon

Offline Bill Michie

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #39 on: 24, October 2014, 11:55:48 AM »
Nice articles (& photos) Jon! Just read the second one; you've flown yours lots more than I have mine, by the sound of it!
Regards, Bill

Offline Jon Tappin

« Reply #40 on: 24, October 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
Thanks Bill

Your comments are genuinely appreciated, it's good to have the feedback. Sometimes when writing these reviews I feel I have maybe got a bit carried away in the detail and imagine people skipping through the whole lot and just reading the last bit about how it flies!

I was lucky that I flew it at a local show and a friend of mine and fellow modeller, Paul Higham, was there who is a keen (and expert) amateur photographer, he really got some good shots!

Regards

Jon
« Last Edit: 24, October 2014, 06:52:30 PM by Jon Tappin »

Offline Sam Wragg

• Advanced Class Poster
« Reply #41 on: 26, October 2014, 07:48:25 AM »
Until i get my Redshift powered Plan built Curare up in the air i can only comment on my experiences with Electric Curare.
This conclusion is based on the difference in power delivery and i believe that my electric version is more than capable of flying the latest 'P' schedule. Who knows? i may even make an appearance next season to prove my theory.

Sam

Offline steveplummer

• GBRCAA Member
  • Clubman Class Poster
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #42 on: 05, February 2016, 07:15:49 PM »
I have been flying mine for 2 years now.
Setup is irvine 53 on purple pipe,apc12x7 at 11450 rpm,5 % nitro.
1000 mah lipo mounted 6 inches behind wing
weighs 6.5 pounds,just keeps going vertical enough to do manouvers
i fitted the electric retracts and all work very well indeed

I mixed the ailerons and rudder and elevator as instructions
Also activated the flap mix and it slows down great for landings

Not the same as a 2m model but fun to fly !

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #43 on: 06, February 2016, 08:48:04 AM »
6.5 lbs ... very impressive ... I guess the original would be nearer 8 or more?

Still a great looking classic!

Mike

Offline Bill Michie

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #44 on: 06, February 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
Yep Mike, 7.5 lbs would have been "light"; anything from that up to 8 1/4 lbs "back in the day"............... Much of that would be equipment: a "trad" .61, pipe, retracts, old-school servos/rx/Batt, etc.
For comparison, my Dirty Birdy ARF with 30-yr old ST .61 weighs close on 8 1/4, though the wings & joiner are heavier than they really need to be. Still ballistic though!

Bill