Author Topic: Adventure Bipe/YS170  (Read 2120 times)

Offline brandon ransley

• Masters Class Poster
Adventure Bipe/YS170
« on: 21, April 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
Since I'm judging at next week's Centralised I thought I would get out and have a fly.  Instead of getting the electric Oxalys Roy and I got the old Adventure Bipe/YS170DZ out.  It was last flown nearly 4 years ago and I just put it in the loft in the garage after its last flight. 

On Saturday we got it down and checked it over and after spinning some fuel through the engine with the plug out decided to see if it would start. It fired up immediately on the first spin of the starter with glow attached.

Today we went up and had three flights - 9 mins and two flights of 11 mins.  It was great to be flying a YS again.  And I/we had forgotten how clean the set up was - very little exhaust residue on the model and just a few spots of burnt fuel in the engine bay.

I know that elec is easier and low maintenance but there was something special about hearing a YS on my flying field again and filling fuel into the model (and not having to charge batteries after a flying session). Also the longer flights were great.

I did manage to fly the F15 schedule twice (and manoeuvres after) so it will be interesting to watch those on Saturday who have practised the schedule properly.

Brandon (and Roy). 

Offline Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Judge
Re: Adventure Bipe/YS170
« Reply #1 on: 21, April 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
A very interesting post Brandon. As you pointed out it is a pain having to charge the lipos up when you get home after a flying session. This winter I took the decision to return to flying nitro helis. This way I can have as many flights as I want without having to mess about with the batteries. Modern fuels don't make a mess of the model like the old castor based mix we used to run a few years ago. For me nitro is far from dead! The world number one seems to agree with you too.

Offline Sam Wragg

• Advanced Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #2 on: 22, April 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
As a committed Electophobic  I'm not so sure after flying Magic  :o

As you say Brandon there's something  special about a model with an engine up front, purring merrily away

Offline brandon ransley

• Masters Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: 22, April 2014, 11:40:06 AM »
What engine is in the Magic, Sam?

Offline Sam Wragg

• Advanced Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #4 on: 22, April 2014, 11:10:11 PM »

Magic is fitted with a Brand new O.S61 ABC-RFP. She was previously hauled around using a pumped Super Tigre X61 RE.

Follow the link for more info

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=92555

Sam