Author Topic: Seb Art Mythos 50  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Judge
Seb Art Mythos 50
« on: 16, March 2015, 07:48:31 PM »
I have now flown two of the new Seb Art Mythos 50 models. Both are powered by the recommended Hacker motor fitted with an APC 16*10e prop. The general opinion is that the model does not have enough power to fly the P schedule.
Has anybody else flown one of these models? How did you find the available power. One thought is to put an OS motor in it and supply it from an 8 cell lipo. I think the model is just a bit too big for a 6 cell set up.

Offline Sam Wragg

• Advanced Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
Re: Seb Art Mythos 50
« Reply #1 on: 18, March 2015, 03:09:34 PM »
try  a 16x12.  current draw will go up but so does the draft

Sam

Offline Adrian Mansell

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: 18, March 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
Hi Nigel,

I've no experience with the model, but Sam is about right:

1. get a watt meter and measure the current at full throttle
2. work out what the maximum current is for the motor (quoted value, Hackers are usually happy at the rated value) and the ESC (I'd use no more than 90% of rated value); the lowest of these sets the maximum current for your system.
3. Increase pitch or diameter until you get to the maximum current.

Whether a 6s set-up is enough is partly a matter of opinion:

1. If you increase the current you may need to run higher C rating batteries.  For example, a typical 2m F3A setup uses 5000mAH 25C batteries with a maximum current of around 75A.  75A is 15C, so only about 60% of the rated value.
2. In general, if your require large currents to get the necessary power (say >80A) I would suggest that an 8S setup would be better.

Offline Sam Wragg

• Advanced Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: 18, March 2015, 05:08:11 PM »
Hi Nigel sorry for the short swift advice it was done on my i-pad

Righty ho let me expand.....

Before I first flew my Wind-S (i'm assuming similar size and motor set up) I also followed the recommended set up of using an Apc 16x10e on the said motor and was unhappy with the performance on the test bed. I knew the model would fly but not how I wanted it to, so decided to undertake in experimenting with different props finally settling on the Apc 16x12e as the best prop for the job.

Subsequent flight tests proved this to be true, but i still felt that the model was a tad under-powered but was happy to live with it. Not forgetting at that time i was using an E-Flight 46 on my similar sized Monolog (see wind s v monolog post) on a 5s set up and on calm days a 4s supply was suffice. I  did look at changing the motor in Wind S to an E-Flight power 60 as the data given indicated that it would do the job? but never got round to it as I sold both models.

Hope this helps in your quest for more POWER

Sam

Offline leecolinjohn

• Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Intermediate Pilot
  • Other Status: Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 20, March 2015, 08:40:01 PM »
Hi Nigel,
I was at my club to day and Steve Burgess flew a full P15 with a Mythos 50 with ease in a wind of around 20mph, It was using the recommended Hacker A50 and Hacker 70esc on a six cell 4500 Hacker eco  x battery The battery was showing that it had 20% left after the flight and was running the recommended APC prop.

Regards Colin
P/S The A50 was a MK3 which I am told is more powerful and more efficient.

Offline Malcolm Harris

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
« Reply #5 on: 21, March 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
Hi Nigel,

The model that Colin was talking about along with another Mythos 50 were flown at our comp today and both performed superbly again in a 20mph 45deg crosswind.

They both were equipped with the Sebart recommended 6s setup.

Can I suggest you contact Bill White at Dumfries Models to find out the exact setup and then even if yours is different you might be able to work out what you need to change or upgrade to get the correct performance.

Cheers,
Malcolm