Author Topic: Axiome flies again  (Read 7318 times)

Offline Keith Jackson

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
Axiome flies again
« on: 06, January 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
Finally finished repairing the Axiome after the wing breakage it suffered at the end of the season. Also the YS185 was returned from YS after a full service ready for the new year. Just waiting for weather to fly now...

Keith
« Last Edit: 06, January 2016, 02:48:07 PM by Keith Jackson »

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
Re: Axiome flies again
« Reply #1 on: 06, January 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
Looks as good as ever Keith.

Ashley

Offline Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Other Status: Judge
« Reply #2 on: 06, January 2016, 05:55:07 PM »
Well done Keith. How did you repair the wing?

Offline Keith Jackson

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: 07, January 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
Hi Nigel,

I did take a lot of photos of the restoration as I planned to use it in an article. Sadly I accidentally deleted some of them whilst taking photos of Will's guinea pig...

As well as the crack in the wing skin which went partly though the top skin as well as the whole of the bottom skin, the main spar was broken as well as significant damage to the individual ribs and servo box. More damage occurred to the ribs as I removed the bottom skin to expose the damage. So initially the spar and ribs were repaired and a new servo box constructed for the aileron. The upper skin was repaired internally usng glass cloth / ply. Then I had to splice in a new lower wing skin as shown in the photo attached. Getting the skins to line up correctly is quite tricky; a non optimal joint will reduce the strength of the wing significantly and using filler is not an option. Then sanding without removing much material is also difficult and imperative to maintaining the skins ability to carry load.

Finally it was repainted by Phil Buckley (Cano fx in Nantwich www.cano-fx.co.uk). Although the final repair is not quite as pristine as when I originally received the model h in 2010, it is more than passable, especially as I thought without a replacement wing, that I'd have to write the model off.

Keith

Offline Bill Michie

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 07, January 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
Well done Keith! 8)
Classic traditional repair methods, esp with the wing skins. Nice to see these days..................... ;)

Regards, Bill

Offline Adrian Mansell

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #5 on: 11, January 2016, 12:46:34 PM »
Keith, brilliant job I have to say.

Shame it means you're going to be spoiling our peace and quiet again this year  ;)

Offline Keith Jackson

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #6 on: 12, January 2016, 11:56:11 AM »
Shame it means you're going to be spoiling our peace and quiet again this year  ;)
So that's the purr of a nicely damped YS against the screech of a electric inrunner... :P

Offline Mike W

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #7 on: 12, January 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
Well said Keith. Sadly I was told by a fellow competitor at one domestic comp ' Your an outcast here with your YS engine, go over there at the end of the line '
The negative commented electric flyer, took off with one aileron plugged in, luckerly landed, then on the next flight lost the prop & spinner off his model. Ouh yes I put in three faultless flights with my YS. I promptly sold up in F3a left feeling deflated.
This really isn't the place to rant on Keiths good rebuild post, but maybe if some don't have a good word to say, just don't say it.
« Last Edit: 12, January 2016, 01:44:18 PM by Mike W »

Offline Keith Jackson

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #8 on: 12, January 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
Sorry to hear you had that experience Mike. Mostly YS engines are seen as the exception these days and in general I normally hear positive comments about having a real engine sound on my Axiome and more importantly, having a presence which differentiates the model from the more common electric powered models. Also its kind of nice to do well against the modern setups with models which are more than a couple of years out of date  :) I do hope to compete with my Angels Shadow before it becomes a fully fledged retro design. Not sure if I already posted this pic but I think it speaks volumes for current designs

Keith
« Last Edit: 12, January 2016, 06:58:51 PM by Keith Jackson »

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Other Status: Contest Director
« Reply #9 on: 12, January 2016, 02:56:59 PM »
Mike W

I am really sorry that this had been said or that there is any animosity towards any of our members whatever they fly.

I am sure there are times when we all take some flack about our decision to fly the equipment we do, or even our flying, and I have taken more than most with my conversion to electric. I hope any comments that were made were said in fun.  I could certainly be accused of making comments in fun and I really hope they were taken that way, but may be I should be more careful in future.

If this was said in any serious way, I hope that person will read this, reflect on their thoughts and apologise. This is undermining everything we stand for, there is no room for anything less than complete understanding within our Association which we are all building together.

I hope it is not too late to ask that if you enjoy flying F3A you come back and join us.

Ashley

PS I believe we all admire the YS engine and Keith's resolve to fly at the level he does, I certainly do.

Offline Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Other Status: Judge
« Reply #10 on: 12, January 2016, 03:58:17 PM »
Why not just remind everybody what mode of power the multi time world champion uses....YS. That's another issue put to bed!

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #11 on: 12, January 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Keith knows I love the sound of a four stoke or a two stroke come to that.

Stunning job on the repair!

Mike

Offline brandon ransley

• Masters Class Poster
« Reply #12 on: 13, January 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
amazing photo Keith showing developments. 

It would be good to have a line of models through the generations.  I know we could go back further but maybe starting with the Atlas through to modern designs.

Offline Keith Jackson

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #13 on: 13, January 2016, 04:21:54 PM »
In its day, the Angesls Shadow was pretty much up there with the top designs. Flying it through P17 late last year at Hurley made me realise just how well some of the modern models perform in roll and in knife edge, though in its defence the AS was very good at pitch control. Not sure what the first 2m models were, probably Excelsior 188 in the UK?

Offline Yoda

• Son of Scotland
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Champ
    • WC 2011
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #14 on: 13, January 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
Nice work Keith, looks great  :)

I'm going to join you in the Angel's Shadow club. About to purchase this nice example which has had only a handful of flights. The engine is virtually brand new but I'll probably take out the 160 and put in a 185 Zero  ;)