Author Topic: New Futaba receivers  (Read 839 times)

Online Adrian Harrison

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
Re: New Futaba receivers
« Reply #15 on: 13, April 2017, 09:57:52 PM »
Hi Stuart ...thought about leaving the cave? 8)

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #16 on: 13, April 2017, 10:09:32 PM »
No its too dangerous......

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #17 on: 14, April 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
I've had a reply confirming that any DC power source in the appropriate voltage range can be used e.g. Lead-acid, LiPo etc.

You can even use the regenerative feature, although it would not be a balanced charge and a LiPo would need to be in
a balanced state to begin with and the advice is to set the voltage cut off lower than normal.

They also point out that the Duo chargers have the ability to regenerative discharge from one channel to the other and
so the receiving battery would receive a balanced charge which is a much better option.

Mike

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #18 on: 14, April 2017, 11:10:38 AM »

Thanks Mike - it seems a dear 'do' though using an expensive 12v charger. What I had in mind really was a cheap (& small) on field charger that I could use directly of a lipo. Need to look at input voltages of the cheap & cheerful range. I have plenty of 3 & 4 cell lipos which are no problem to take charged & might work. After all charging current required is probably only up to 500ma & would only be 'topping up' so delta peak cut offs not really necessary either.

ps - Adrian -sorry if it's all too sophisticated for you Brummies!
« Last Edit: 14, April 2017, 11:14:10 AM by Stuart Mellor »

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #19 on: 14, April 2017, 11:29:39 AM »
The cheapest iCharger I found in the 0-28VDC is the 206B while the cheapest iCharger I found was the
106B+ with 10-18.0V DC which could be used with a 4 cell LiPo (4 * 4.2 = 16.8 VDC).

As you say, expensive options for what you want, so probably only worth thinking about if you
were going to make use of the charger for other battery charging operations or as having
a backup charger to your existing chargers for your motor LiPos.

All interesting information anyway  :)

Mike
« Last Edit: 14, April 2017, 11:31:17 AM by Mike Wood »

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #20 on: 14, April 2017, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #21 on: 14, April 2017, 12:38:13 PM »

Thanks Mike  -ordered one. £18 inc post. should be just right for the Tx box.

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #22 on: 14, April 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
Yey  8)

m

p.s. Blast that postage!  ;)

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #23 on: 14, April 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Yes - its only £2.75 though although coming from Europe.

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #24 on: 14, April 2017, 07:22:46 PM »
Oh ... okay ... that's good ... for some reason I thought it was nearer £5 ... not so bad then!

m

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #25 on: 26, April 2017, 08:42:21 PM »

Hi -the Bedrock post has arrived!

Got the portable charger as described above. What an excellent unit. Will charge 1-4s lipos, 1-10s NiCads, 1-10s Nimh, 6-12v Lead acid!, Lion - from charge rates from 10ma upwards and peak detects. Max. available wattage 45 watts.

Input voltages are 10-18 volts. So will accept either your 12volt home power supply or 3-4 cell lipos. It also continually displays charge rate, elapsed time & battery voltage. A balance lead and lipo connectors are also supplied.

My idea is to charge rx batteries on-field from a 4 cell lipo - in my case Nimh - but will also charge lipo rx batteries.

Max. input voltage is 18 volts - so you could not charge from a 5 cell - BUT it wouldn't take a genius to make up a lead to use 4 cells from the normal 5s balance connector.
« Last Edit: 26, April 2017, 08:50:48 PM by Stuart Mellor »

Online Adrian Harrison

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #26 on: 27, April 2017, 08:46:17 AM »
Interesting Stuart .... spare rx batteries then charge at home?
Perhaps too heavy to transport ;)

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #27 on: 27, April 2017, 01:05:32 PM »

Hi Ade,
Almost a nice one! - but the whole point is I don't believe in disturbing a reliable installation. For me the worst thing anyone can do is change rx batteries on the field. Goes against everything I have ever done! & can crash models. I know many people do it......& good luck to them. Perhaps it does go back to the 'old' days when  'aerobatic rules' were formulated - which you are too young to remember, of course!:-

Rule 1 - you can't have too much power (just a management problem)
Rule 2. - Never disturb a reliable installation.

Also -I cannot understand why many trust a lipo (without redundancy backup) for their rx power source & £3000 model & still remove the battery to charge it at home. If I used a lipo for rx power, I just would have to charge it in situ.

Really, if you think its going to explode, surely you wouldn't be using it for the most important function on your model.

For me, the wear & tear on rx power connectors is for me is the biggest  no no.

Wilma!!

Offline Graeme Jones

• GBRCAA Member
  • Advanced Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Clubman Pilot
« Reply #28 on: 27, April 2017, 01:29:56 PM »
Stuart - I'm with you, but only for IC powered models. There's no real advantage in using a lithium battery to power a receiver and servos, compared to Ni-Cad or NiMH, unless you want the extra voltage. Much of my gear won't accept higher voltages anyway (Futaba S3152 for example are 5V only). For my latest electric powered models I'm using SBEC's. Nothing to charge, no switch to fail and you can't forget to switch it on.

Graeme

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #29 on: 27, April 2017, 01:43:35 PM »

Hi Graeme - yes, you are complying with rule 2! (sort of)  & I also agree on the 3152's - an excellent 'tight' digital servo & serious value for money.

Don't agree though on s becs - some unnecesary  electronics between my rx & 5 volts. Not for me! Switches would be many times more reliable. (but I've no proof, of course)

Switches have had a bad press for years though. Never thought they were responsible for many failures (especially with no vibration electric models) Bad connections - yes - which then work when you pick up the wreckage. On my new installation, though, I have eliminated the switches ( I used to have 2) & replaced them with 2 mm bullets -for 2 reasons - weight saving & convenience.

I think I mentioned previously, it comprises - 2 of eneloop 800's plugged directly into the rx, with 2 mm bullets in the +ve leads. Weighs 115 grms - not light by other standards -but 2 independent power supplies, each capable of my usual 4 flights. & no fancy electronics.
« Last Edit: 27, April 2017, 01:53:10 PM by Stuart Mellor »