Author Topic: Wolfgang Matt's 1981 Arrows  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
Wolfgang Matt's 1981 Arrows
« on: 08, August 2016, 09:07:21 AM »
I think Classic enthusiasts will enjoy the attached photograph from the banquet of the 2016 F3A European Championship.

Wolfgang's original 1981 Arrows have changed hands.  One some time ago, and the second after the F3A 2014 European Championship held in Liechtenstein. Both had been restored to original condition (may be better than original) by the new owner and presented at the banquet to the Chairman of the Untermunkheim club where this championship was held.

Wolfgang was delighted and there were smiles all round when he tried to leave the stage with one of them.

Most present were surprised at the size of propeller used in those days and the relative size to weight.

Ashley

Should have said: from right to left:  Wolfgang Matt, Ewald Trump (Chairman MFC- Untemunkheim) recipient of the models, Gunther Matt, (probably the original builder) and Nick Schadler who restored the models.
« Last Edit: 08, August 2016, 10:12:49 AM by Ashley Hoyland »

Online Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
Re: Wolfgang Matt's 1981 Arrows
« Reply #1 on: 08, August 2016, 09:20:03 AM »
Super picture :)

Zinger 11 x 7 were quite popular at one point.

Mike
« Last Edit: 08, August 2016, 09:21:41 AM by Mike Wood »

Offline Bill Michie

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: 09, August 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
Looks like a pair of Webra Speed .61's (with Dynamix carbs) on the models. They'd be turning Zingers or Rev-ups (11x7-7.5-7 3/4) at getting on for 16K revs IIRC....................I believe many top fliers had custom props either made, or modified from stock for more revs too.
Enough to make your ears bleed! But oh so loooong straight lines & FAST! Weight could easily be in the 8-8.5lbs range..................
Lovely pair of valuable models now. ;D

Bill

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #3 on: 09, August 2016, 07:20:36 PM »
Hi,
Think it was the Arrow (was it Ashley?)  Wolfgang flew at Woodvale - but they were side exhaust motors then. Checked Wolfgang's engine (when he wasn't looking!) at 14,800.

We mostly used Zinger 11x7's on 5% nitro. Any more nitro was unthinkable! -a big mistake at the time. Never quite achieved the magic 15,000 - but there were no digital tachos then - just analogues.

OPS advised trimming the props to 11x6.5 to allow the engine to peak on OPS '60's. Happy days.

It was definitely a horsepower race then - or rpm race - and a physiological advantage if you had the revviest engine.

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 09, August 2016, 08:51:23 PM »
Stuart

I believe it was either 1979 or 1980 when we saw Wolfgang at Woodvale so that was before these two models were built, so I am not sure which model we saw Wolfgang fly.

Ashley

Online Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Other Status: Judge
« Reply #5 on: 09, August 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
Could it be an Atlas he flew at Woodvale? They were equipped with a side exhaust engine.

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #6 on: 09, August 2016, 09:19:54 PM »
Looks like I will be dragging out the old mags again! I know he was with a colleague - Rene Schumacher - who flew the same design. Still remember his slow roll - starting over Blackpool tower!

ps - whatever model he flew at Woodvale -it was definitely side exhaust - either HP or Webra. Watched him strip the engine on Friday night! I don't think there were any rears about then anyway.
« Last Edit: 09, August 2016, 09:24:09 PM by Stuart Mellor »

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #7 on: 10, August 2016, 07:52:08 AM »
I thought he flew Webra.

Wasn't it the year the Scale World Championship were held at Woodvale in the days immediately after the Woodvale Rally.  I must have slept in the Maxi as I was there with the Redshift display box.