Author Topic: Battery voltage checker?  (Read 192 times)

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Intermediate Pilot
  • Other Status: None
Battery voltage checker?
« on: 09, October 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
Hi guys,

What do you use to check the batteries on these models?  The Optipower 160mAh packs I've picked up are 2S packs without any balance lead... and all the battery checkers I own rely on the balance lead to check the cell voltages.

I don't think I've ever seen a checker for a straight 2S LiPo voltage, apart from a multimeter.  What do you all use?

Offline Adam Lomax

• GBRCAA Member
  • Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P&F)
  • Other Status: Supporter
Re: Battery voltage checker?
« Reply #1 on: 09, October 2017, 06:01:35 PM »

If I need to check the voltage of my indoor packs I just use a multimeter, but to be honest I very rarely do so! I just charge up and go and I've never had a problem with my OptiPower 120's after several years of service :)

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
« Reply #2 on: 10, October 2017, 07:42:01 AM »
Hi Ross

Having asked the same question of Matt some years ago I use the Rx socket on the standard battery voltage checker and ignore the % charge as the checker thinks it is a 4 cell NiMH.

Ashley
« Last Edit: 10, October 2017, 07:50:58 AM by Ashley Hoyland »

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Intermediate Pilot
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #3 on: 19, October 2017, 07:02:47 PM »
Problem solved.  When I looked at the wiring more closely to add my receiver I realised there's no BEC on here and the servos are running straight off the 2S lipo.

Which means I get battery voltage telemetry from the receiver.  Sweet!  No flight timers for me, I can just set alarms to alert me when the packs get to storage charge, and when they get all the way down :-)