Author Topic: F3A World Championship 2017 - Argentina 3rd to 12th November 2017  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
Re: F3A World Championship 2017 - Argentina 3rd to 12th November 2017
« Reply #15 on: 23, March 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
You make a good point Ken.

If someone makes the commitment to go, then they are very likely to be doing more than they perhaps
normally would and may present a great opportunity for them to get experience with less pressure of expectations
and surprise everyone!

Mike
« Last Edit: 23, March 2017, 01:01:10 PM by Mike Wood »

Offline Eugene Anker

• GBRCAA Member
  • Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Advanced Pilot
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #16 on: 12, September 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
The saga so far
We leave on the 26th October 2017 and arrive in Argentina on the 27th flying British Airways to Buenos Aires and then a four & half hour drive to Villa Gesell
The big  issue of getting the models on the plane is SORTED!!! . [size=78%] [/size]
It turns out that most airlines have set a limit on what you can now take on a flight with no exceptions not even sporting goods.
This size being 190 x 75 x 65 cm and a weight limit of 32Kg. If you want to take anything bigger you need to book it in a cargo with different companies, this is however an expensive nightmare, and after chasing my tail got nowhere.
We booked though Thomas Cook, so that they would smooth the path and sort the cargo out. Only to find that after booking they, told me I needed to contact Airmot Cargo direct. Who turned out to be one help and would not take the boxes.
I therefore contacted BA direct and was given IAS Cargo ( BA cargo company) this again was very frustrating, being run around on automatic phone systems, never speaking to a person, and just getting the press 1 for this, then listening to more options before being cut off. The bottom line being you needed a company account and I needed to be a limited company to proceed.
[/size]After what seemed like a thousand emails, different contacts from people within BA, looking at FedEx, DHL to name a couple, we always receiving costs of around two thousand pounds and no guarantee of the models coming back, I even emailed BA’s CEO.  I looked at shipping, with the cost of Van hire in Argentina being around two to three thousand, I wondered if getting a van with the models in it would save money and be the answer, but again it simple shipping one way, but not back again and the models needed to be there weeks in advance. [size=78%]
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the legend and my friend Adrian Harrison for trying to help with his contacts, at BA but again they could not widen the limits ( A Big thank you Adrian for trying)
The team were about to throw the towel in and admit defeat, with high costs and it looking like the models would not get to Argentina, when Steve Underwood heard that the America team had to remove there tail planes and to the reduce the box size to get there models on the plane.
 [/size]We decided that that was also the best option for us (or Steve did to be more precise) . The team (Garry Peacock) agreed and said it could be done ( to his and my aircraft . [size=78%]
[/size]At this time I also had a phone call from BA Customer Relations saying the CEO had read my email and wanted him to help me, although he could not deviate from the size and weight limit, he could waiver the fee and wish as the best of luck in the championships. He also put this in writing, so we should get on the plane. [size=78%]
So with the flights, Hotel and transport are now booked, it looks like we are going
At present they are busy practicing and finally looking forward to the World Championships 2017,

I will aim to carry on this blog when i'm in Argentina, but hope for now this gives you all a bit of good news and hope you are all getting exited.
Regards
Eugene

Offline Alan Williams

• GBRCAA Member
  • Intermediate Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Clubman Pilot
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #17 on: 12, September 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Well done Eugene, it sounds a nightmare to arrange and I sincerely hope that all goes well with the shipping. Looking forward to your reports and good luck to the team.

Offline Keith Jackson

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #18 on: 12, September 2017, 03:01:11 PM »
Well done Eugene, nothing like a baptism by fire!

Keith

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #19 on: 12, September 2017, 06:06:48 PM »
Well done Eugene.  You deserve a reward for that!  Why not celebrate by coming up to Sculthorpe to fly in the new Comp on 1st Oct!   :)