Author Topic: Buckminster NPod +  (Read 316 times)

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
Buckminster NPod +
« on: 07, September 2017, 11:12:43 AM »
I would like to thank everyone who attended this day for their enthusiasm,  and of course Manny, Paul and David for their help to allow this event to run smoothly.   Flying in the conditions we experienced, although not the worst we might have had, were a challenge for any pilot so thank you for having a go.

We had 10 visitors arrive at Buckminster for the first 'Introduction to Aerobatics' day, although one pilot decided it was too rough to fly and left us early, even though there was no pressure on anyone to fly.  I understand one other person is on the waiting list for next time.

Our visitors were club pilots who wanted to improve their knowledge and flying skills. There were 6 F3A models of varying sizes.

One of those present has entered the Beaulieu competition (his last competition there was 29 years ago) and another has already ordered GBR/CAA merchandise, bought Bango's Bravo, done an excellent repair job and is very interested in moving forward in Aerobatics.

All attendees said they would come again and I am encouraged to continue these sessions on the first Wednesday of each month. 

Although the vision is wide reaching, I want to move forwards slowly and build on this first event.

« Last Edit: 07, September 2017, 11:30:49 AM by Ashley Hoyland »

Offline Graeme Jones

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Clubman Pilot
  • Other Status: None
Re: Buckminster NPod +
« Reply #1 on: 07, September 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Well done Ashley, sorry I couldn't be there, I'm still recovering from the virus I caught at the nationals.

Graeme

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: 07, September 2017, 01:43:36 PM »

Thank you Graeme and I hope you soon recover.

I know Manny will be taking bookings for the 4th October if you feel well enough it would be good to see you there.

Best wishes

Ashley

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #3 on: 07, September 2017, 06:55:01 PM »
Wow, Ashley and all others involved to make it happen ... outstanding!

m

Offline Alan Williams

• GBRCAA Member
  • Intermediate Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 07, September 2017, 07:18:25 PM »
Ashley,
Are these events/sessions open to those of us who have flown at the lower levels but would welcome some coaching to help improve? That is an npod/epod?

Thanks
al.w

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #5 on: 07, September 2017, 09:49:23 PM »

Hi Alan

Thank you for asking.

These events at Buckminster are in their infancy and everyone is welcome, but you may have to be a bit understanding until a successful format is found.

If you want to sign up for the next one on the 4th October I will do my best to help and I would hope you would have around 4 flights, but as I say we may have to be flexible depending on how many turn up.

I will plan to have a discussion group through the day if the weather is less than kind.

Best wishes

Ashley
« Last Edit: 08, September 2017, 08:50:08 AM by Ashley Hoyland »

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #6 on: 08, September 2017, 12:29:57 AM »
Well done Ashley and Manny!

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #7 on: 08, September 2017, 09:12:19 AM »
Alan and All

We limited the last event to 10 pilots and initially we will do the same next time, but it depends on the mix and experience and we may change this when we know what response we get. (Although if anyone wanted just to be involved and not fly, we could accommodate unlimited numbers.  I need to confirm this if anyone is interested!). 

If the weather is unkind and we cannot fly, I believe the discussion topics I have planned can fill the day with essential information to fly F3A competitions, some of it you will know and is basic, but I would hope it would make all attendees think a little more before they take off to fly a schedule.  One of those topics will be going through the judging presentation in some detail but we will dilute this if the weather is good to give more time for flying. 

If the weather is good the time spent in the Events Centre would possibly be half the day to cater for new attendees, but with as much flying as possible and for repeat visitors, they could fly most of the day flying in rotation to practice what they learned from the previous session and miss the presentation, which they will have already heard.  The decision can be made on the day.

Come and be part of it.

Ashley

Must say the sandwich lunch Manny organised was really good and hot drinks are available all day

« Last Edit: 08, September 2017, 09:21:59 AM by Ashley Hoyland »

Offline Alan Williams

• GBRCAA Member
  • Intermediate Class Poster
« Reply #8 on: 08, September 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
I am afraid I cannot make the 4th as we are abroad and do not return until the 6th. but I will try to attend a future event, though I guess the winter approaches. We are away again OCT 13 to 24, these blinking holidays do get in the way.
Your proposals for how the day should be organised sounds great and for me, any extra help, information and guidance would be welcome. On the other hand it maybe I can assist, or at least encourage anybody just starting out or thinking of taking up F3A as my experience of starting is quite recent and I know how mind boggling it can all seem.

Alan

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #9 on: 08, September 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
Hi Alan

I am sorry you won't be able to make the 4th October. I guess November 1st will be the next opportunity for you.

Going forward through the winter months we could have discussion session in the Events Centre and take them in any direction pilots wish, and still take advantage of any good weather to fly. 

We might even introduce some low level F3P flying.

Thank you again for your interest.

Kind regards

Ashley

PS What are holidays? :)