Author Topic: Recommendations for a beginner?  (Read 961 times)

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Intermediate Pilot
  • Other Status: None
Recommendations for a beginner?
« on: 24, September 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
Hi folks,

Can I get some suggestions for a nice slow flying indoor 3D model for the winter?  I joined an indoor club last year and have progressed to the point I can happily fly around, hover and fly inverted without crashing, and I'm getting pretty good at dodging the walls in general :-)

But the plane I'm flying (twisted hobbys mini edge 540) is a little fast compared to the other models at the club.  There are a lot of tiny 1S micros and biplanes, and only a couple of people who fly 3D models, so something a little slower and more floaty would both help give me more reaction time as I'm learning, and reduce the risk of my plane eating somebody's model alive!  But while I think a F3P model is probably what I want, I don't know anybody who flies them, and haven't a clue where to start.

I've done a little googling, and found there are models as low as 40g now, although they're eye-wateringly expensive.  I've also found the Hobbyking Galaxy which for £32 including a motor looks like a bargain (and cheap is good as I'm still likely to crash a few times while I'm learning 3D).  But I could really use some advice.  What would everybody suggest as a good slow model for me to pick up?

And at the same time, what are the recommendations on motors, servos, etc?  I don't mind spending a little more on those as I really felt the difference with my mini edge when I upgraded the aileron servo to a faster and torquier model, and I've read that counter-rotating props can help with precision (and I suspect would make learning hovering in different orientations a lot easier), and after all, electronics will usually be transferable to another airframe in the future.

Thanks all!

Myx

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
Re: Recommendations for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: 24, September 2017, 11:57:48 AM »

Hello Myx

I am sure there will be many replies to your post from other members, but if I can start this off by saying "Welcome to the forum of the GBR/CAA and the world of F3A and F3P Aerobatics".

If you wish to fly F3P than you really do need to find a flying site where you can fly schedules or learn to fly manoeuvres with one model in the air.  Even the most robust F3P model will not stand coming together with another model.

If you want an F3P model, once it is trimmed there is no other model like it to fly. Just wonderful, it stays where you put it and gives you more time to think, but more time to make mistakes.

Do you live within a reasonable distance of South Elmsall, near Doncaster.  Some have travelled from the south of the country to compete but for practice it may not be practical to travelsuch long distances.

We hire a hall at South Elmsall and another at Alfreton, Derbyshire so we can fly one model at a time.  We just share the cost of the hall and the sessions may last 2 to 4 hours.

As far as models are concerned have a word with Mark Taylor at MT Foamies.  There may also be some second hand models around which may interest you.  I have a Miss Piggy which would be good to learn the F3P GBR/CAA 'C' schedule.  Glavak motor with single propeller and fully equipped in a travelling box.

There is so much information around but if you could get to one of our practice sessions you would be very welcome.  The first is on the 22nd October 2017 09:30 to 12:30 at South Elmsall.

Please give me a ring if you think I can help in any way.  0114 2873432

Ashley

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: 24, September 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
Oh wow.  Alfreton is literally 15 mins from me, I live in Kilburn and  joined Amber Valley model club last year, they fly indoors at Langley Mill over the winter.

When do you fly up there?

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: 24, September 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
Also, a second hand model would probably be ideal.  I just had a look at some videos of a Miss Piggy flying and that's just the sort of thing I'm looking for, nice and slow and precise.

I'm not really thinking about F3P or competition just yet, I only started flying planes last winter (I've been flying RC heli's for the last 4 years), this is more something fun to do over the winter to keep my fingers in practice, and my current model is definitely a little too aggressive for the hall we have, although it was ideal to learn on as it bounces well :-D

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 25, September 2017, 08:34:53 AM »

Hi Myx

We fly at Alfreton Leisure Center but even South Elmsall is not too far way from you.

I believe that if you have a leaning towards the Miss Piggy you would benefit from being involved from a early stage, certainly in our practice sessions if you don't fancy entering a F3P competition at this stage.  You would get a lot of guidance and be able to practice the right things.  We all practice our mistakes if we don't listen to advice from those watching us fly.

We have a competition arranged for Alfreton on the 6th January 09:30 to 16:30 but I believe we have a practice sessions before then at Alfreton and several at Minsthorpe.

If you are interested in my Miss Piggy or if I can help in any way please give me a ring 0114 2873432

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #5 on: 25, September 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
When's a good time to call fella?  Tried tonight but didn't get an answer :-)

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #6 on: 25, September 2017, 10:36:04 PM »

Sorry - hospital visit.

Should be in most of tomorrow.

Ashley

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #7 on: 20, October 2017, 09:27:44 PM »
Hi folks,

Well Ashley's Miss Piggy had it's maiden flight with me tonight and it flew beautifully.  It made a real change being the slowest flying model in the hall, I've never had a Parkzone Vapour overtake me before, and it's immediately been christened "The Whale" by the guys in the club :-)

Most of the club members haven't seen a F3P model fly before, nor a model turning up in a giant coffin, so it's received a fair bit of attention :-)

I do need to ask some advise though as there's some tweaking needed.  The batteries I'm using are around 2g heavier than the ones Ashley uses, so of course it needed a fair amount of up elevator trim to fly hands off, and so is nosing down when inverted.  What do you use to adjust the CG on these models, how can I add some weight to the tail?

I'm also having some problems from time to time when spooling up.  Every so often it will splutter a bit rather than spool up smoothly and then die until I disconnect and reconnect the battery.  I'm wondering if it's a startup power or ESC setting that needs adjusting, but I don't have any experience with tuning ESCs on planes, and actually don't know what model ESC I have on here.  Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Myx

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #8 on: 21, October 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
Startup problem solved, did some googling and from photos I'm pretty sure this is a YGE 7 or YGE 8 ESC.  I've changed the motor timing from the default of 18 to 30 and it's starting smoothly every time now.

I've also tweaked the throttle curves on my TX so low stick has the prop just barely turning and mid stick is roughly hover throttle.  Can't wait to fly it again next week :)

Wondering whether moving the battery back is the best way to adjust the CG, it'll mean cutting a new hole but that's probably the easiest option without adding weight.  However I've no idea how to find where the CG needs to be, and if I'm going to cut into this I don't want to be doing that twice.  Any suggestions?

Oh, and one of the other lads from the flying club wants a F3P model now, Ashley you might be getting a phone call from Jono :D

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #9 on: 21, October 2017, 05:58:50 PM »

Hi Myx

We have a practice session booked at Minsthorpe tomorrow, 9:30 to 11:30 if you are interested.

Moving the battery is the best way so you do not have to add weight.

Ashley.

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #10 on: 21, October 2017, 06:18:32 PM »
Unfortunately tomorrow clashes with a Taekwondo grading so I can't make that session.  I'm keeping an eye on the other dates though, this thing is a lot of fun to fly :-)

Offline SteveDunne

• GBRCAA Member
  • Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: Intermediate Pilot
« Reply #11 on: 04, November 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
There have been many comments recently about how few inexpensive options there are for beginners in F3P.
I noticed this ad yesterday - several foam F3P models, very inexpensive and capable of the C schedule at least...

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=2&q=%7BIndoor-Model-Selection%7D

Steve.

Offline myxiplx

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #12 on: 06, November 2017, 12:08:29 PM »
I've actually got my eyes on the Twisted Hobbys Clik R2:  https://www.electricwingman.com/clik-r2-superlite-red

I've a TH Mini Edge 540 with a warped airframe and many of the electronics should transfer over, and I think that would be a good durable model for practising on, and a little tougher than my Miss Piggy.

Offline Mark Allen

• GBRCAA Member
  • Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #13 on: 06, November 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
I've actually got my eyes on the Twisted Hobbys Clik R2:  https://www.electricwingman.com/clik-r2-superlite-red

I've a TH Mini Edge 540 with a warped airframe and many of the electronics should transfer over, and I think that would be a good durable model for practising on, and a little tougher than my Miss Piggy.

I've got the original Clik NG superlight, I think the only difference is the colour scheme. Mine is ready to fly with battery at 120g, not sure how this stacks against a competition plane but sure does fly very slow and precise. It's quite durable too.