Author Topic: F3A European Championships 2012 Diary - Chateauroux, France.  (Read 23477 times)

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
Re: F3A European Championships 2012 Diary - Chateauroux, France.
« Reply #75 on: 14, August 2012, 12:00:46 AM »
I agree with some of your comments Stuart which relate to mistakes by some pilots.

It is impossible to know where the judges downgrade a manoeuvre.  You cannot be sure that the judges have downgraded for the same reason as you would, the judges may not have seen it the same way as you did and indeed not even all judges see it the same way.

I agree it is important to get the lines right and it is the centre of gravity of the aircraft which must draw that straight line. As we saw from the score sheets very few 10s were given, so may be if those lines had all been straight and rolls had have been in the middle of the lines, as you suggest, some of the top pilots scores would have been even better.

My advice would be lock onto the straight lines whether they are level, vertical or 45 degrees without hesitation.  Fly at 150 metres, centres are important, roll rates are important, but hey! that is what it says in the Sporting Code, so once you can fly these straight lines and get the geometry right, fly the Sporting Code to the letter to give yourself a chance.

There is no reference in the rules to say how a snap roll should be performed, (and I dont think there ever has been), other than the model has to break the line and start and finish with a straight line.  If a pilot feels he can do this better with a slow rotation (Gerhard Mayr style) or a fast rotation (Christophe style) that is up to the pilot and the score sheets show there was no appreciable difference in either of those two pilots scores for their snaps.  A fast rotation is probably easier to keep on line but is less easy to stop with wings level, but it is up to the pilot to decide which he can perform more accurately without the aircraft appearing to change speed. Perform either perfectly and you wll get a 10.

On another point, I see those pilots with the “halo factor” are simply those pilots who make the least mistakes.  I do not believe names influence the judges in any way and any halo factor is only in the mind of those watching.

As I said yesterday to several at Manasfield,  I wish everyone in our Association could see pilots flying in this type of Championship, you would all probably take away somthing different.

Ashley
« Last Edit: 14, August 2012, 12:19:58 AM by Ashley Hoyland »

Shahid

« Reply #76 on: 14, August 2012, 03:32:55 AM »
Some good comments there Ashley. I hope it is true that most judges use the sporting code, and the sporting code only, to score schedules. I don't want to have to emulate other pilots, I just want to follow the rules. That is one function of the code, so that anyone, anywhere in the world knows what is expected of them so there are no surprises.

On another point, I see those pilots with the “halo factor” are simply those pilots who make the least mistakes.  I do not believe names influence the judges in any way and any halo factor is only in the mind of those watching.

I wish it were so, but as a scribe at a domestic competition 2 years ago I had full of experience of the "halo factor". Not mentioning names but a well established pilot was flying, judges seemed fit to score him 8's or 9's for every maneuver regardless of how it was flown. The judge I was scribing for called "9" halfway through a cuban 8 - before it had finished. Maybe it was an isolated incident, but this experience demonstrated it can happen, though it has no place in any competition. Domestic or otherwise.

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #77 on: 14, August 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
The judge I was scribing for called "9" halfway through a cuban 8 - before it
had finished.

Perhaps the 9 was for the previous turn around maneuver, sometimes judges ponder on a score, especially a high one,
before giving the score? Or perhaps it was genuine mistake?

CPLR –operates in his own space-time continuum. Thus for him –time slows down, giving him all the time and space he needs to
complete manoeuvres.

Thanks Stuart, I was wondering how CPLR flies at 150m with a YS and keeps it all under control and to win convincingly  :)

m
« Last Edit: 14, August 2012, 03:40:20 PM by Mike Wood »

Shahid

« Reply #78 on: 14, August 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
Perhaps the 9 was for the previous turn around maneuver, sometimes judges ponder on a score, especially a high one,
before giving the score? Or perhaps it was genuine mistake?

Wish it was, but all manuevers had been scored up until that point. So the score was for the cuban. They didn't seem to hesitate or ponder on high scores, as everything was an 8 or 9!.The events of that day as a whole leave no doubt in my mind there was serious bias at play. Hopefully it was an isolated incident, but the point I'm trying to illustrate is that these things can, and have, happened.

Anyway, back on topic!

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #79 on: 14, August 2012, 05:27:42 PM »
Hi shahid,
re my comment on 'track of model' - yes it's in the rules....but if you saw CPLR flying in a strong cross wind & still managing to perform true vericals without the fus cranking over - you might realise it is possible. Just don't ask me how!
Stuart

Shahid

« Reply #80 on: 14, August 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
That's fine then! As long as he maintained a true vertical track he could have been flying backwards for all I care  8)

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #81 on: 15, August 2012, 08:42:59 AM »

...called "9" halfway through a cuban 8 - before it had finished...

Having thought about it a little more, if I had been scribing, I would have mentioned to the judge that the manoeuvre was not yet complete, in the time that the second half of the manoeuvre was being flown.

m

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #82 on: 15, August 2012, 08:48:38 AM »

but if you saw CPLR flying in a strong cross wind & still managing
to perform true vericals without the fus cranking over

So basically the ability to control time and space and defract light so that objects appear to the observer to be at a different angle than they really are is the way to go ... simples!   ;)

m
« Last Edit: 15, August 2012, 08:53:19 AM by Mike Wood »

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P&F)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
« Reply #83 on: 15, August 2012, 05:46:57 PM »
I think the comments re CPLR in a cross wind are a little rose tinted, he cranks the line in a wind to keep the track vertical just the same as the rest of us and I particlarly remember a stack of up elevator being but in after the stall in the second manoeuvre in the said cross wind flight.  What is impressive is that he anticipates the conditions perfectly, he knows what angle to pull on the first manoeuvre to compensate for the wind and speeds up a little when its windy.  There is no searching for the right angle, he just hits it.  Also, don't for a minute think he doesn't make any mistakes, he just makes less than everybody else whether it is a P, F or unknown, windy or calm.

Interesting video from Donatas interviewing CPLR.  He has an electric Axiome nearly ready and interesting how he modifies the Axiome to suit the conditions of the host country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0WbtsIWQg&list=UUvuZfma0-w5FL4kzDgczqqQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Matt

Shahid

« Reply #84 on: 15, August 2012, 09:00:07 PM »
Did I catch that right he is 33 years old?

Interesting video, nice to see he is just a regular aeromodeller. I didn't spot an aura around him, angel wings nor did he float a foot off the ground.

YazooF3A

« Reply #85 on: 15, August 2012, 10:00:04 PM »
He is 43 old :)
His aura and angel ;) wings are propably now in Stoke On Trent...... ;)
« Last Edit: 15, August 2012, 10:03:15 PM by YazooF3A »

Offline Steve Edwards

• GBRCAA Member
  • Advanced Class Poster
« Reply #86 on: 04, September 2012, 03:56:09 PM »
Hi all

here's a video of CPLR flying P13 in the EC

https://vimeo.com/47877560