Author Topic: European Championships 2014 - Bendern, Liechtenstein.  (Read 11393 times)

Offline Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Judge
Re: European Championships 2014 - Bendern, Liechtenstein.
« Reply #30 on: 19, July 2014, 03:46:36 PM »
Can anybody explain to me why they use TBL to finalise the scores for a round.
For a pilot to have a raw score higher than another pilot in two rounds, then see he has not won those rounds and be awarded the 1000 points looks mighty strange to me. In any other sport we would be accused of fixing the result!! ???

Offline Yoda

• Son of Scotland
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Champ
    • WC 2011
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #31 on: 19, July 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
Looks like Kaiser has won it, CPLR 2nd and Bruckmann 3rd from the pre TBL scores.

P.S. Disappointed with the unknowns. Both were very similar to each other and far too easy for an EC final. It was the same last year at the WC. The final stages of these comps are surely meant to stretch the pilots and their equipment to the absolute maximum. The two unknowns the finalists flew today are pretty straight forward given the capabilities of the modern F3A plane.

Offline pippy

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #32 on: 19, July 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
What TBL does is it looks at the bias for each pilot from each judge and eliminates scores if a judge is found to be too positive or too negative towards an individual pilot. That's why it can make quite large changes at times. I am sure it's alibi toe more complicated but it is supposed to eliminate bias.

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #33 on: 19, July 2014, 09:33:26 PM »
Can anyone explain what TBL stands for?  Pippy's post states that TBL identifies individual judges who are biased - how do you stop the big name bias which might affect the majority of judges?  Or am I being too cynical?

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P&F)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
« Reply #34 on: 19, July 2014, 11:38:23 PM »

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #35 on: 20, July 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
Thanks Matt.

Offline Serious Power

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #36 on: 21, July 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
Hi Matt,
Was just reading your 'blog' posts - interesting !

But firstly I'd like to say well done to you,Kevin and Garry.

Just to add to your comments re new stuff ;
There was Gunter and Loic's new models - both interesting in different ways I'd have thought.
Also there was a mention of another contra from RS - It's in the pipeline apparently and a proto,, was flying !!?

Re the result and if I may ask ;
Has CPLR slipped back or had Kaiser up'd his standard considerably ??
Perhaps you could elaborate some more for us if and when you get a rest and find some time !

Thanks - Brian

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P&F)
« Reply #37 on: 21, July 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
Brian, yes of course I didn't think beyond the top ten,  Gunther had his Crystal bipe and Loic his Xareltoo.  There was also Berts Spark Evo II. 

According to the equipment list Lukas Dietrich was flying the RS Contra with Hacker motor but can't say I noticed it.  I do know Gernot was using a new Jeti prototype motor, from watching him in Belgium it certainly seems very efficient.

I think a little of both.  Kaiser definitely upped his game and I didn't see him make an error all week, can't remember a snap not hitting the mark, all spins and stall turns were spot on all week.  I still think CPLR has the best accuracy, grace and geometry.  It just looks locked in all the time whatever the conditions but he made a few basic errors on snaps, stall turns and spins - could have been nerves as Kaiser put the pressure on early in the week as he looked tense all finals day.  I have seen him miss snaps before and get away with it as the competition have made errors elsewhere but Kaiser was on it all week and thoroughly deserved his victory.  I predicted after South Africa last year that we would see a new World Champion in 2015 but I didn't see him being beaten in the Europeans.

Matt
« Last Edit: 21, July 2014, 07:49:32 PM by Matt Hoyland »

Offline Serious Power

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #38 on: 21, July 2014, 09:03:05 PM »
Matt,
Thanks.

Kaiser would have had a very big advantage due to site knowledge, the sun and that contraption they had.
With all that going on and with Kaiser going well I can understand CPLR being somewhat unnerved.

He has been beaten before, a couple of times, with the last being in the wind (howling) in Argentina.
I think he then adjusted his style some with a view to it making it more universal.
This loss may make him re-evaluate and re-apply himself to flying with 'style' - I hope so anyway.
He may also be a bit tired of it all - I hope not as he has been the single best thing that has happened in F3A outside of turnaround.

Brian

Offline Bill Michie

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #39 on: 22, July 2014, 08:54:59 AM »
As the Blog thread is now locked, I'll say it here.................. ;)
Well Done to all the Team and Welcome Home! :)
I'm sure you all deserve a break & relax for a while.

Best regards, Bill

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #40 on: 22, July 2014, 09:14:10 AM »
Ditto and thanks to Matt for keeping up the blog.

Peter

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #41 on: 22, July 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
Thank you Bill and Peter for your interest.

I hope that between the forum posts and the photogallery, which I believe is now fully updated, http://www.gbrcaa.org/Photo/v/2014+Season/10++07+2014/ we have been able to bring you a little of the flavour of the event.  What we can't do is fully bring to you the anticipation and nervous tension which decends on the competition site at times and particularly towards the semi finals and building towards the last flights of the competition, you have to be there to appreciate that.

Thank you again for you support.

Kind regards

Ashley

PS A report will follow.
« Last Edit: 22, July 2014, 09:29:12 AM by Ashley Hoyland »

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #42 on: 22, July 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
To close my thoughts on the event:

Every competition is different and the European Championships in Liechtenstein were no exception.  I am surprised that I am saying that the still air, that was around for most of the week, caused its own problems for pilots.  In fact it was a competition won and lost on stall turns and spin entries.  Pilots who were not used to those conditions were having difficulty and I just wonder if the wind had blown whether the results would have been different. 

Not to take anything away from Stefan Kaiser winning the competition and giving us a new European Champion.  Stefan was used to flying in those conditions and it appeared many other pilots were afraid to let the model stop before the stall turn in case the model ‘dropped out’, so a little power was applied to make sure, but that made us all question where a stall turn finished and a wing over started. Having said all that inaccuracies could be seen in all flights in spite of the calm conditions.

I believe the lack of wind made it a tense competition as the accuracy of every command sent to the aircraft was seen, and our pilots were no different.  If we are going to progress we need to look a the minute details within the manoeuvres, with special attention to base line height and distance out which was so accurate when the top pilots were flying.  During practice in the UK with our weather conditions I just wonder if it is possible to fly that accurately and I wonder if some of the inaccuracies seen even from the top pilots may have been ‘hidden’ if the conditions had been different.

Our pilots spared no time to get out and practice when there was time and they thought it to be beneficial and there was full cooperation between our team and supporters and I thank them all.

Pilots had to cope with putting the models together many times after travelling miles to our chosen practice site in Austria and then avoid the mud in the car park at the beginning of the week when we returned to the main site, then by the end of the week high temperatures which we were told were unusual even for Liechtenstein.

I know all our pilots were a little disappointed not to have scored higher, but it was a good experience to build upon and they should be proud of their efforts.

The organisation of the whole competition as second to none and Wolfgang received a fitting standing ovation at the closing banquet.

Ashley
« Last Edit: 22, July 2014, 06:21:16 PM by Ashley Hoyland »

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #43 on: 23, July 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
Hi Ashley,
Just returned from a googleless/emailless holiday! - so could not keep up. Congrats to the team & Matt for making the semis & demonstrating we can 'do' it if we can fly like we do at home.
You raised an interesting point about the weather conditions. I remember when Prettner, Matt (W), the Geitzendanners, etc dominated everything. The theory then was ' its because they can fly in flat calm , because their countries are landlocked & thus are able to trim & practise in more favourable conditions '
Has the theory been proved?!!!

Stuart

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #44 on: 23, July 2014, 11:55:32 PM »
Further news from the Championships is that a new perpetual trophy was donated by Her Serene Highness Marie of Liechtenstein, to be awarded to the top Junior pilot at European Championships.

I have added a photograph to the bottom of the 'competition history' page here: 

http://www.gbrcaa.org/Competition%20History/World%20and%20European.htm

Ashley
« Last Edit: 23, July 2014, 11:57:39 PM by Ashley Hoyland »