Author Topic: F3A European Championships 2014 Blog - Bendern, Liechtenstein  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P&F)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
Day 1 - Leg 1

390 miles down plus a few on the back of a train. No glitches so far but it has rained most of the way in France and looks to be a similar story in Liechtenstein! 411 miles to go tomorrow with a 7.00am start. Kevin should be relaxing on the ferry and I think Garry sets off in the morning.
« Last Edit: 10, July 2014, 04:54:00 PM by Matt Hoyland »

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
Re: F3A European Championships 2014 Blog - Bendern, Liechtenstein
« Reply #1 on: 10, July 2014, 08:57:26 PM »

Day 2 - Leg 2 & Practise

The remaining 411 miles went without a hitch and we made it to the hotel to check in around half 2.  The hotel is on the side of a mountain with great views down into the valley and the Rhine river. We then headed down to the site, got my name down with 21 pilots to go. Luckily quite a few people didn't turn up for their slots so got 2 flights in by 7.30 sandwiching the French team, it was raining for the second one as it did for most of the journey down. Garry, Eugene, Eddy, Sally and Kevin have all made it safe and sound as well.

Forecast is dreadful for tomorrow with rain all day and thunder and lightening for our official practise time at 17.50! There's no wind though so it's quite smooth.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: 11, July 2014, 07:05:21 PM »

Day 3 - Practise & Processing

Day 3 started with breakfast in the hotel at 8.30 and as promised it was raining. We were looking down on the tops of the clouds from the breakfast table but by 9 there were signs it was starting to clear. We had decided to head out to one of the 12 practise fields. To get there we travelled out of Liechtenstein through Switzerland and then into Austria. We travelled through some very heavy rain but by the time we made it to the site it had cleared. It was an excellent site with a 60mx3m Tarmac runway with the box marked out facing north. 12v and 24v supplies for charging with a small clubhouse.   The models were quickly assembled and we got some flights in. The wind was light and by dinner time the sun was shining. I got 6 flights in and Kevin and Garry got 4 flights each. We didn't see any other teams and had the site to ourselves all day.

We were due to process the models and have our official practise at 17.50 but when we arrived about 15.45 the earlier rain had delayed practise by around 30 minutes. We all got through processing but GBR and Ukraine will practise in the morning. The opening ceremony will then be late afternoon. Weather looks better tomorrow but there is still a threat of rain in the afternoon. It was then the Team Managers meeting which I and Marco Bennicasa got thrown out of for not being Team Managers. I should have claimed to be an interpreter from English into Yorkshire but not sure that would have gone down too well with Mr Rammel.

So tomorrow will be an earlier start as we need to be on site for 8ish and we'll all get a flight on the official site.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: 12, July 2014, 09:03:29 PM »

Day 4 - Official Practise, Practise and the Opening Ceremony

Another good day, we arrived at the site for around 8.30 after breakfast at 7.30. It was overcast this morning but no rain. Ukraine kicked off the mornings flying, the cloud was low with all pilots flying through low cloud but luckily by the time our slot arrived the low cloud was lifting. The site faces east so we were glad there was some high cloud cover. All our flights passed without incident and Garry used up the remaining time to get a few manoeuvres in with his B model. A good start to the day.

Judges training was planned for the rest of the day on the official site so We quickly got packed up and headed to our favoured practise site in Austria, with 68 pilots hoping for last minute practise we were pleased to find an empty site where we all got some more flights in. I managed 4 flights before we packed up and headed back to the official site for the Opening Ceremony.

The ceremony was the usual affair starting of the with the anthems for each of the 24 teams followed by speeches from various local dignitaries. It was obvious how serious the country takes F3A and it is held in high regard on an equal footing to any other sport as well as obviously being the premier aero modelling discipline. A large number of the public were also in attendance which gave event more gravitas. The FAI, euro and Liechtenstein flag were delivered by parachutists who landed on the flying site. Unfortunately the full size aerobatic display was cancelled due to thunderstorms over the air base in Switzerland. The afternoon was rounded of with drinks and rolls for all the teams.

The competition starts tomorrow, I am off first for team GBR, 17 overall at 9.44 following Burbaud, Trump and Bruckmann. Kevin is off 27th and Garry 51st.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 13, July 2014, 09:56:17 PM »

Day 5 - Day 1 Preliminaries

Day 1 is almost over and we have all completed our first flights and are all reasonably satisfied but as always room for improvement. I was off first for the UK and was lucky to avoid the morning sun.  It came out for Cedric Carayon who was off 10th but by the time I flew in 17th the cloud had returned. As the sites faces east east South the sun is in the box until late morning. A sun shade is provided for pilots and all judges on an adjustable tripod but the cloud does a better job!

Gernot Bruckmann put in a very slow flight making Mayr look fast but still completed the schedule with 20 seconds remaining. Mayr was perplexed with two 0's for his top hat with spin. A Cypriot pilot ran out of time and then was told he was also over the noise limit so had his model and transmitter impounded until a retest was conducted. It passed the second time so he kept his scores.

As always the judging is tougher than the UK and at World Cups but didn't see anybody put in a bad flight.  All the scores can be seen at http://www.ec-f3a-2014.li

Time for a prediction, I think the light winds will play into the hands of Bruckmann, Mayr and Silvestri but I think CPLR will be too strong for them on the unknowns so 1st CPLR, 2nd Silvestri, 3rd Bruckmann, 4th Mayr, 5th Mazzucchelli, 6th Kaiser, 7th Trumpp, 8th Nurilla, 9th Burbaud, 10th, Benicasa.  I think Austria will take the team prize.

Garry is off first in the morning at 8.15 followed by me at 14.00 and Kevin 10 pilots later.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #5 on: 14, July 2014, 09:50:41 PM »

Day 6 - Day 2 Preliminaries

Not much to report today, we all scored a little lower. Kevin and I were on the tougher judging panel but my flight was a little untidy so deserved a lower score. Garry got caught with the morning sun right on the centre line which is not easy. The shock of the day was Stefan Kaiser beating CPLR with the last flight of the day to take the 1000 for round 2. A mixed weather bag today as well, CPLR was delayed this morning by about an hour due to low cloud, then the sun came out and was quite warm by the time Kevin and I flew and then there was a very heavy down pour this afternoon which delayed proceedings by another 30 minutes.

Kevin is off first tomorrow, then I am last of the morning flights and Garry is the last of the afternoon flights so a long day ahead but we're all planning to get some practise flights in at some stage during the day.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #6 on: 16, July 2014, 04:18:08 PM »

Day 7 - Day 3 Preliminaries

As planned we all managed to get some practise flights in today. I left the hotel early and went straight to the practise field after dropping the team manager at the site and got 3 flights in at our favoured practise site near Bregenz in Austria. Kevin and Team Peacock arrived just as I was packing up following Kevin's flight. Kevin and I were on the tougher judging panel again were scores were hard to come by. My flight was a little better than the previous day but still not up to my usual standard and got a deserved 413. Luckily for me the sun was on the edge of the box by this time but very high in the sky so didn't need to make use of the sun shade. Showing that everyone can make mistakes Gernot Bruckmann flying right before me made a mistake on his stall turn and got five 0's but still managed a respectable 440. Following my flight we headed back to the practise field where Kevin and Garry were packing up following getting some practise flights in. I got a further 4 flights before heading back to the site to watch CPLR for the first time and then Garry rounding off day 3. CPLR put in a good flight but not without noticeable mistakes particularly things like not rolling immediately opposite in the 3 of 6 opposite but still managed a 498. Garry rounded off the day with a good flight. The weather is now much improved with temperatures getting into the mid 20's but the wind strength is increasing a little and the hot weather making it a little bumpy.

We rounded of the day with dinner at a steak house in Rankheim, Austria. Garry flies first in the morning followed by Kevin and myself around 5.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #7 on: 17, July 2014, 02:09:31 PM »

Day 8 - Day 4 Preliminaries

We all met for breakfast today as we had a later start with Garry off first around 11. It was the first clear morning that gave a great view from the breakfast table over the mountains of Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Unfortunately this also meant that the sun was glaring into the faces for the morning pilots and was just past the centre line for Garry and he had to make good use of the sun shield. CPLR was up just prior to Garry and put in an excellent flight but from the tougher judging panel got a 483 meaning Kaiser had also won this round with his score of 488 from the previous day. I then set off to practise field which is about 20 miles from the site to get some more practise before my late afternoon flight. I got 4 flights in between the local club members who were there before heading back to the site giving myself about 90 minutes preparation time before my flight.

Both models were assembled, the backup model for the 5th time this week without being used. The conditions were good, the wind had picked up a little but more like what I am used too at home and about 25 degrees. I was very pleased with my flight, it has only taken 4 championships and 16 flights to put in a flight that I know I am capable of and representative of what I do at home. Thankfully the judges agreed and I got a 455 and 13th position in that round beating the likes of Juan Rombaut and Marco Bennicasa. I think this proves what I have been saying for the past few years that if I can fly as well as I do at home then I'll do well and that the judging and what we all aim for at home is correct. I just need to do it in every round now to save the anxious wait I had for a few hours to see if I had made the semi finals. Luckily I had in 27th position and making the semi finals for the first time in an international championships.

Further up the field Kaiser beat CPLR into first place by 0.06 points proving again that the finest of margins separate the top pilots and 1 mistake on 1 manoeuvre can make all the difference. Gernot Bruckmann is doing well in his first international championships flying his now repaired Evolaris biplane with Brenner Contra drive, Gernot's flying style makes Mayr look speedy but is well suited to the conditions. I still think CPLR will dominate when it comes to the unknowns but the rest of the podium places are still very much up for grabs.

Loic Burbaud's YS185 cut very suddenly in his final flight today on the up line of the figure 9. A new one was quickly found from the back of the car and fitted into his model. That one didn't sound too good either so there maybe a few 185's in the Rhine soon if anybody is interested, Kevin will only get his feet wet if the model goes in there as well!

There was some monies worth in the car park today as well as on the flight line, a Mercedes Mclaren SLR (£350,000), 2 Monotracer bikes (£100,000 each) and 2 Tesla's at a mere £60,000.

Tomorrow is the rain day where I hope to get lots of F practise in. The official site is open for practise except between 12 and 2 but will go to our preferred practise site again in the morning and hope to get at least one flight on the official site in the afternoon. There is then a Liechtenstein evening at the site hosted by the Modellflugplatz Bendern followed by a night flight show. 

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #8 on: 18, July 2014, 10:15:09 AM »

Day 9 - Rain Day and Semi Final Practise

We headed out early to the practise site at Bregenz, Austria where I managed to get 8 F-15 practise flights before we then headed to the competition site to get a couple of practise flights there. Wolfgang Matt was finishing the judges F-15 training but it was very quiet with only the German team and a few other pilots around. I was second to fly once Wolfgang had finished the training flights. I got 2 further flights through the afternoon. The only difference is flying the rolling triangle with a mountain back drop rather than sky which makes it a little difficult to clearly see the model especially due to the change in contrast between the bright sky and dark mountains. It was very warm again in the high twenties with a bit of a breeze that made it a little bumpy.

We were then joined by the rest of the UK team who had spent the day sight seeing in the mountains ready for the Liechtenstein evening. This was a free evening for all competitors, supporters and helpers which consisted of a 3 course meal, entertainment from a local carnival band and rounded off with two night flights which were spectacular including fireworks and light display. The helicopter display was particularly impressive with the lit rotor blades creating different images in the rotor disc including the MFGL and European Champs logo.  A preview of the fixed wing display can be seen here -  https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUDAwSImB1Red0qJQMwK635w&v=SrS-R8mJyNA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUDAwSImB1Red0qJQMwK635w&v=SrS-R8mJyNA. If someone posts a video from last night I will post it.

Don't forget the photos are here - http://www.gbrcaa.org/Photo/v/2014+Season/10++07+2014/?g2_page=1

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #9 on: 19, July 2014, 09:47:53 AM »

Day 10 - Semi Finals

Semi finals day started with departure at 7.45, by coincidence I was drawn 17th in semis as well as in the preliminaries flying after Robin Trumpp and before Gerhard Mayr off around 10 am. This would also be my first flight with the sun shade as there wasn't a cloud in the sky with the sun just left of centre. My first flight went well but not without a couple of errors but nothing major and was happy with my 487 considering I am pleased with a score above 500 at home. I think I was 23rd in this round of the F. The sun wasn't a problem apart from in the hour glass where I lost it in the rolls for a second. In my second flight I was 2nd off on the afternoon panel. I felt more comfortable on this flight but made an error on the exit of the rolling triangle and on a K6 manoeuvre was very costly, moreover it was on the tougher judging panel which haven't liked me all week and consequently scored a 433 but overall was satisfied with my performance in my first semi finals and moved up a place to 26th. A big improvement on 42nd at the last euros and our best individual placing at a euros for 10 years when Brandon finished 17th and Angus 21st in Alochete, Portugal. 

My early finish meant we had time to do a bit of sightseeing in the afternoon in Malbun were the rest of the team visited yesterday. Malbun is a ski resort in the mountains above Liechtenstein which was very nice and much cooler than the mid thirty degree temperatures at the competition site. We returned to see the last few flights including Stefan Kaiser making his winning flight in the second F meaning he would also win the semi finals. My models were also packed ready for the journey home on Sunday. I got 8 out of 10 for my predicted pilots to make the final, Sandro Matti did well to make his first finals appearance. I still think CPLR will win in it in the unknowns, I don't think Seba will make the podium and it will be tight between Kaiser, Bruckmann and Mayr but think they will finish in that order.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #10 on: 19, July 2014, 09:51:24 AM »

Day 11 - Finals Round 1

CPLR takes the 1000 in the first F despite getting a lower raw score than Kaiser. CPLR got a 0 and a 3 from two judges for a dodgy spin entry but the other judges gave its 8 and 7's so TBL threw the 0 and 3 out meaning CPLR got the 1000. I tend to agree with the two judges who downgraded the score as it was not a good entry and did not start spinning immediately. 

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #11 on: 19, July 2014, 11:03:05 AM »

Day 11 - Finals Round 2

The standard in the first unknown was very high, timing was very tight on this schedule with lots of big manoeuvres. All pilots were taking off in the opposite direction to their flight and going straight into the first manoeuvre. CPLR finished his 8 point roll with 4 seconds to spare and I think speeded up a little in the double key to make sure he finished on time. Despite a poor stall turn in the figure M the rest of the flight was excellent beating Kaiser on raw scores by 2 points. CPLR took the 1000 to Kaisers 999.06.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #12 on: 19, July 2014, 03:16:43 PM »
Day 11 - Finals Round 3

Not much to comment on in the second F, Kaiser beat CPLR on raw scores but CPLR got the 1000 again. It is all still to play for though as the second unknown has to count and Kaiser has enough points to win if he takes the 1000 and CPLR scores less than 995.

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #13 on: 19, July 2014, 03:23:12 PM »
Day 11 - Finals Round 4

The final round is complete, CPLR was first to fly the unknown and made a few errors on the snaps and on the knife edge Cuban. Kaiser put in an excellent flight with only a few geometrical errors. Looking over shoulders at score sheets I think kaiser has beaten CPLR but we still need to find out what TBL will do. Robin Trump had motor problems in the final flight of the day, it constantly varied RPM in the sound check and despite having his second model in the ready box he persisted but it was doing the same through the the whole of his flight constantly varying between three quarter and low throttle. He managed to get through the flight but it was very small but very good under the circumstances. We now wait for the awards ceremony followed by the banquet this evening.
« Last Edit: 20, July 2014, 05:11:37 AM by Matt Hoyland »

Offline Matt Hoyland

• Administrator
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #14 on: 21, July 2014, 09:13:37 AM »

Day 12 - Departure & Final Thoughts

After nearly 2300 miles, 34 practise flights, 6 competition flights, visiting 7 different countries we've made it home safe and sound (although I understand a breakdown in Luxembourg has delayed the return of Team Peacock)

The banquet was excellent and very well organised. Memento's were presented to pilots placed 30 to 1, judges, jury members, team managers and officials. Drinks were free and we had a very nice three course meal. There were horn players and a 3 piece band plus some indoor flying. And if that wasn't enough there was a tombola with loads of modelling and non modelling prizes that I think everyone in attendance took something home from. The prizes ranged from free shirts, falcon aviation props and spinners to small kits. Eugene even managed to get a present for his Mrs! Sally wasn't so impressed with her new propeller though!

This championships has been one if not the best I have attended, the organisation has been second to none with everybody knowing there jobs and doing them very well, it really has been excellent. Thanks to Wolfgang and his team for an excellent championships.

As is usually the case I think the right person won though TBL nearly took it away from him. CPLR made too many mistakes most notably on spin entries and stall turns. Stefan's flying was a similar style to CPLR being not too fast or slow, manoeuvres were there right size and it was all between 150 and 170m. A deserving new European Champion.

Not as bigger mix of flying styles as you get at the Worlds but Gernot Bruckmann stood out as being different flying very slow, close and small. Similar sized to Mayr but the contra helps Gernot fly a bit slower. The other top contra pilots also fly a little slower than I do but of a similar size. GBR certainly fit in terms of flying style, we just need to do it more accurately and make less mistakes.

I agree with Angus and don't think the new automated unknown picker is working yet, too many repeated manoeuvres and the schedules were too similar. I am sure with some tweaks they will get it right.

There was nothing much new in terms of models with only Gernot Bruckmanns Evolaris and Seba's PrometheuS being new this year. The Evolaris suits Gernots very slow flying style but I don't want one. The PrometheuS was ok but nothing ground breaking. The Galaktic looked better here than in South Africa and performed the various unknown knife edge manoeuvres well. I still think the Citrin is the best model and don't want for anything else though would fit a contra if someone gave me one but still don't see an advantage or less you want to fly slow. 9 electric models with 5 contras made the final and as with South Africa it was electric (Robin Trump) that had the problems in the final though I think there were 3 YS engine cuts across the week. A YS185 is obviously the glow engine to have and wouldn't swap my Hacker C50 13XL for anything else.

Well done to Kevin and Garry in his first championships, thanks to my dad for his help (and nearly calling everything right!) and the support and camaraderie from Eugene, Eddy and Sally.