News:

New website released (click MAIN SITE above)

Axiome flies again

Started by Keith Jackson, 06, January 2016, 02:43:57 PM

« previous - next »

Sam

Mmmm intresting observations.

We all like to compare F3a to the Formula 1.

If Formula 1 is the benchmark?  Am I correct in believing that periodically the governing body of F1 modify the criteria of the regulations in reference to the design specifications of the cars.

Am I correct in believing this is done so to further development in the sport

When was the last time this happened in F3a?

P.s...... Thinking of coming out of retirement   ;)

martynk

Not only that, all F1 cars are obsolete after one season. The F1 analogy has been used many times, however, there isn't a F2, F3, F Ford etc (where each is effectively a totally different class with its own rules) hierarchy in any aeromodelling discipline that allows a competitor to move through the ranks. How would it be received if - for example - the FAI introduced a cross section rule on fuselages that made all current models obsolete? - similar rules happen in motor sport all the time. Next year there may be a restriction on motor or prop size or pitch or battery capacity. I don't think the F1 analogy is particularly good although I understand what was intended.

However, as a non competitor I am nervous about getting involved in this debate. My initial comment was purely about aesthetics, nothing more and was not intended to stir a hornets nest. If I upset anyone or it was taken out of context then I apologise.

On a positive note and as far as I can see, the stress demands on a modern F3A airframe are probably less than they were in the ballistic era and therefore the constraints of requiring a fully moulded airframe to compete aren't there. At least in F3A, potential competitors have the option to hand craft an airframe (using normal workshop tools and methods) if they have the skills.

Martyn

Graeme Jones

Martyn - which is what I'm doing at the moment, with a 2 metre version of my Deluge own design. I had intended to put a design/build blog on this very forum, but a restriction on file size of 3MB means that I can't, as all my photos are 5MB or larger.

Personally I don't think that there is any need for rules other than the current 2M/5Kg, though I disagree with the claim of F3A being "as cheap as chips " unless the comparison is with motor racing F1. It is of course possible to do well in Clubman with a Wot4, but the competitive spirit soon takes over and demands a better airframe, for most an ARTF. I could spend £thousands, if I had it!

Graeme

Ashley Hoyland

Graeme

If you wanted to send me your photographs I will convert them to a lower KB size suitable for upload to the forum.

I also think there are some free programmes out there to download which will reduce the file size of the orginials.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Ashley

martynk

I highly recommend IrfanView for Windows users. Has a batch conversion utility. An absolute doddle to use as well

http://www.irfanview.com/

Martyn

Graeme Jones

Ashley and Martin - thanks both, I'll have a look later.

Graeme

Phil Lewis

Graeme,

Even easier assuming your computer is using Windows, right click on the picture file, select "open with" and select "paint" (it's in every windows version since 95 already there for you), then when it's open in paint at the top a bit in from the left is "resize", click the radio button for pixels and make sure there is a tick in "maintain aspect ratio" box then type in 1024 in the horizontal pixels box. Then save it and the file size will be dramatically reduced.

Don't forget to give the saved file a new name or save somewhere else or you will overwrite and degrade your original file.

If you need to rotate any pictures just right click and then click "rotate left" (or right).

Graeme Jones

Philip - many thanks for that. I really should have worked it out myself, I used to use Paint on my Dell Pentium 120 to play about with the pics from my first digital camera, but that was nearly 20 years ago. I've tried it with a 7.5 MB pic and the reduced size is 550 KB, which is about what I wanted. I'll start the design/build thread later, while the glue is drying!

Graeme

Jim

Hey Keith,

Its nice to see a great job you did, and take it back to air.

She was so young to be retired......  ;)

Jim,