News:

Please see posts regarding manoeuvre F-25.13

Next competition: 1st BMFA Centralised + UKF3A National League - 21st April - Hurley

Judges and Pilots Seminar Saturday 24th March 2018

Started by Adrian Harrison, 14, February 2018, 11:14:42 AM

« previous - next »

Adrian Harrison

There will be a Judges and Pilots Seminar on Saturday 24th March 2018 - venue Copt Heath Golf Club, 1220 Warwick Rd, Knowle, Solihull B93 9LN

Nico Bleas a highly respected international F3A Judge has kindly agreed to visit us and make this presentation.

It is intended that the content of the day will be of interest and benefit to all members whether flying (all schedules), judging or simply interested in precision aerobatics especially with the new FAI schedules P19 and F19 starting this season.

We anticipate that the day will prompt discussion and debate and be an interactive experience not to be missed.

More details will be posted later but a start time will be 10am and finish 3pm is proposed.

To enhance Nico's presentation and provide more visual detail Keith Jackson has agreed to bring his lap top and simulator which will be projected onto the large screen.

We have tested this and it works extremely well.

In order to plan the day effectively a firm indication of attendance would be appreciated, please let me know.

Adrian

Provisional list of attendees:-

Adrian Harrison, Peter Brett, Steve Underwood, Al Williams, Chris Halgreen. Ashley Hoyland (poss), Mark Pearce, Eugine Anker, Matt Bacon, Adrian Mansell, Gerhard Fehringer, Mark Allen

Alan Williams

Hi Adrian
can you put me down to attend please. It would be nice to know what I am watching at the comps.

thanks
Al

Adrian Harrison

Now the snow has gone.....time to prepare.
Adrian

Adrian Mansell

Hi Adrian,

Could you add me to the attendees list please?

Cheers, The other Adrian.

Adrian Harrison

Kevin Caton

I'm sorry that I can't attend this - I will be on standby for work (for the very last time) and can't leave the immediate area.

I'm sure it will be a very useful day for everyone!

Alan Williams

Hi Adrian,
do we need a code or anything to access the golf club on Saturday??

thanks
Al.W

Adrian Harrison

Hi Al no code needed to get into the car park but one is required to get out!

As a general point the club does have a dress code of no denims, I know it is a rule from the dark ages but it still exists.

Adrian

Alan Williams

that's my Jeremy Clarkson outfit dumped then!
see you Saturday
Al

Mark Allen

Hello Adrian, please add me to the list too.
Thanks

Adrian Harrison

Ashley Hoyland

One thing which emerged from this meeting (and we implemented at the Skelbrooke competition) was the anomaly in the difference between the P19 and A18 stall turn. (We adopt the FAI A18 as our Masters schedule).

The P19 Stall turn has a full roll before the 1/4 loop into the vertical up line. To centre the whole manoeuvre, the up-line has to be flown past the centre line of the aerobatic box and this is shown correctly in the Sporting Code.

The stall turn in the A18 has no roll, so the up-line should be on the centre line of the aerobatic box.  (This is not illustrated as such in the current sporting code as it shows the up-line past the centre marker).  We agreed at the meeting that the A18 stall turn up-line should be judged and performed on the centre line.

It is important that all pilots know this as I am sure we will all find ourselves being asked to judge this at some time through the season.

Keith Jackson

I think this is a classic example of how manoeuvres can be misinterpreted by both pilots and judges alike, and made unintentionally difficult to judge. It would be so much easier if the rule said to fly the complete roll to finish on centre and then immediately start the 1/4 loop to the stall turn. Thus the transition point can then be assessed as on centre or otherwise. Instead we have a ruling that the whole manoeuvre should be centred meaning you've got to be careful to either make the roll the same width as the complete stall turn (1/4 loop, stall turn, 1/4 loop), or if not somehow judge where the centre of the complete manoeuvre is.

I wonder if this is done deliberately to make it more difficult or whether this is a "lost in translation" effect?

Keith

Stuart Mellor

Good point Keith. But why on earth is a roll required before the manoeuvre? it would be better for the pilots (& more importantly for judges!)  if the vertical was straight up the flag - then there is no argument about centre. With the manoeuvre as described - its going to be more difficult for all.
A bit pointless.

Ashley Hoyland

Surely if we are not prepared to design a schedule and get it accepted by the FAI and all that goes with such action, we just have to accept what is proposed.

The schedule is what it is and we just fly it.

The only question here is with the A18 schedule which we adopt as our Masters schedule and this post is doing no more than saying what
those members who attended meeting decided.