News:

New website released (click MAIN SITE above)

Spare model advice

Started by shaven, 14, April 2019, 09:41:10 PM

« previous - next »

shaven

Hi - I have one F3a aeroplane that I fly exclusively. My question is do other clubman/intermediate pilots keep/use a spare machine, just in case of planned or unplanned maintenance  ;) ?  If so, is this machine a result of you growing into the hobby and acquiring another aeroplane as you progressed. Or was it a conscious decision to have a spare machine?

Thanks, Neal

Alan Williams

Hi Neal,
I have 2. I bought one and used it exclusively, then  decided to get a different one as I fancied trying a contra. I use the still use the original ocasionally and during winter. I find it hard to readjust as they are very different to fly. It is handy to have a backup in case of maintenance or damage due to unplanned events. Anyway buying new toys is what money is for.

Al

Tom Laird

Hi Neal,

A good friend of mine gave me the advice - buy 2 the same. Unfortunately it was about 10 years after I started :)

I bought my Contrast about 5 years ago then bought a Mythos Pro but both were very different and required 2 or 3 flights to change from one to the other, so not good in a 3-round competition. A second Mythos Pro came up for sale late last year so the Contrast was sold, and the 2nd Pro purchased, then tweaked until I had them flying as idential as possible. I now feel that I could change mid-comp and not need any transitional flights.

Both have the same motor, speed controller, servos, propeller, and centre of gravity.

My view is to get 2 the same unless you are a "God" and an change model without any adverse impact.

br

Tom

shaven

Thanks Al, Tom - that's helps.  I have an Axiome 70e, I'll ask around if there's anything with similar characteristics to this but I can't find another one at the mo.

Thanks again, Neal

Peter Jenkins

Neal

I only ever had one 2 mtr on the go from Clubman up to Masters and then when I finally staggered into FAI(P) I ended up with 2 but quite different machines.  One was the Toxiris and the other a Citrin.  I sold the Toxiris and acquired a Majestic (CPLR design from 2000) and fitted a DLE35RA.  That didn't fly like the Citrin either but it did provide 15 minutes flight time which I was after to practice the C Aerobatic schedule.  That Schedule is all centre manoeuvres and so takes much longer to fly than the FAI(P) hence the need for more flight time and also avoiding exposing my competition machine to the manoeuvre that has to be flown not above 30 ft.  I have since acquired a contra equiped Agenda and that is nothing like the other two.  To cap it all, I recently bought a Loaded Dice III which is set up for electric drive and has retracts!  That having been said, there is quite a low chance of piling in your F3A bird since we don't tend to fly as low as 1 mistake high often.  However, you can get an ESC failure but that you can insure against by having a spare ESC of the same sort already configured.  Swapping ESCs is usually fairly straightforward. 

I see that Tom has made the sensible decision to go with 2 identical airframes.  I would say though that no two airframes are entirely identical and they will have slight variations in the way they fly.  You will certainly have a greatly reduced problem if you do have to use your reserve machine during a comp.

Peter

Mike Wood

Following on from Peter I'm going to expose the other side of the coin.

I've seen people try to get two identical models or just two models going and in the end it has ended up being a
distraction from setting up one model really well and really getting to know all its foibles.

So I think it has a lot to do with how much time you have to devote to practice.

If time is relatively limited, then spending your time on one model and getting to know all it's ins and outs
and then experimenting with changing, for instance, c of g and many other things following the trim charts that are available,
is I think, preferable to having two models, neither of which has had the time it needs and neither of which you have
got really comfortable with.

Making various minor trim changes can have a cumulative effect that can transform a model from awkward to wonderful (not always  ;) ).

If disaster did strike, there are often second hand models available and many of the offerings available take
a fraction of the time to get flight ready, than days gone by, plus all your time would be spent on getting it going
in double quick time.

A final thought is that new designs become available and what you desire as a second model today may have changed
by the time you've put many, many, many flights on your number one model  8)

If you're flying as a team member other considerations come into play, but if you're not, as Ashley would say ...
practice, practice and practice some more  :)

Mike

Alan Williams

Dear Mike
please send me a list of the trim changes that transform my model from awkward to wonderful. The only change I have made that transformed the model is to hand the transmitter over!!
Seriously though, very good advice.

all the best
Al.W

Mike Wood

Hi Alan

> ... The only change I have made that transformed the model is to hand the transmitter over!! ...

rofl  :)

I'm sure you've seen it but just in case:

http://www.gbrcaa.org/acrobatfiles/Trim.pdf

There are others out there  :)

Mike