Author Topic: Clubman pilots - welcome!  (Read 353 times)

Offline Ashley Hoyland

• Global Moderator
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: Contest Director
Clubman pilots - welcome!
« on: 17, April 2019, 09:40:21 am »
It gives me a great amount of pleasure to welcome more Clubman pilots to their first competition season than we have for some years and I hope we can give a reminder to help start off your experience well.

One of the main bits of advice we always give is to try and impress the judges right from the takeoff.  The takeoff is something you do every time you fly, so points can be gained fairly easily if you follow the rules and take your time after opening the throttle for the take off run.  This manoeuvre is scored out of ten the same as all other manoeuvres, but it is reasonably easy to score a 7 or 8 which is a good start with a 'K' factor of 2.

We consciously decided to score take offs and landing from 0 to 10 in Clubman and Intermediate to give pilots a structured procedure right from the start of their flight, so take advantage.

All the takeoff and landing judges notes along with downgrades are here: http://www.gbrcaa.org/acrobatfiles/Take-off_and_landing_2015.pdf

I hope this helps, enjoy.

Ashley
« Last Edit: 17, April 2019, 09:43:53 am by Ashley Hoyland »

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
Re: Clubman pilots - welcome!
« Reply #1 on: 19, April 2019, 01:22:05 pm »
Just to add to Asley's comments above - (commenting as  a judge & having flown competitively years ago).

Making a good impression!:

1. As Ashley says -take your time. The judges want you to do well. They don't want to subtract points.

2. MAKE THE JUDGES WAIT!  - don't feel under pressure to get to the first centre manoeuvre as quick as possible. You will gain
    respect this way - & you will be in charge.

3. Impossible I know - but try & relax. You will not fly as well as on your club patch. But don't worry about that - that will come with
    experience.

4. Be assured that everyone else has been through the same experience - so you are in good company!

5. Don't worry if your scores vary at other competitions. It can be upsetting if your scores are down from the last comp.

6.The judges are only human (I think) & their scores will vary - the aim is to find a winner of the competition using the rule book as
   a guide. If you think you've flown better than a competitor -but he's beaten you - by all means ask the judges why - they will only
    be too glad to help. But don't wait until the've judged many more flights before asking...……….
« Last Edit: 19, April 2019, 01:33:59 pm by Stuart Mellor »

Offline Mike rieder

• Clubman Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Clubman Pilot
« Reply #2 on: 30, April 2019, 09:44:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice Ashley and Stuart, really looking forward (i think!) to having a go at competing this year.
From a judging point of view how does the aerobatic box come in to play with take off’s and landings, is it not applied? As i believe the take off should be parallel to the flight line but as you are only 15 foot or so out at take off you will go straight out of the box.
I’m very fortunate to have Peter Jenkins keeping me straight (literally) but forgot to ask him about this.
Mike   

Online Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
« Reply #3 on: 30, April 2019, 11:38:10 pm »
Hi Mike

The aerobatic box does not apply to take off and landing.  Having said that, I once scored a 0 from a judge for a perfectly good landing circuit and when I asked why I was told I'd flown outside the BOX! Thankfully, that person no longer judges!

Peter

Offline Mike rieder

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 01, May 2019, 12:37:06 pm »
thanks Peter, I thought it was worth asking on here, as others may be thinking the same.

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #5 on: 01, May 2019, 03:55:52 pm »
Hi Mike,  As Peter says the box is disregarded on take offs & landings. One big zero no-no though is flying behind the judging line. That's a line projected laterally parallel to the flight line. But flying outside the box on landing is fine.

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #6 on: 21, May 2019, 11:57:30 am »
Glad these posts have morphed into a 'beginners start here' category. Elsewhere you will have read Adrian's & Kevin's excellent posts.
Can't really add to them, but here's another take for anyone just starting:

Most beginners believe that the manoeuvres themselves are all important & naturally just want to get on & practise them - quite understandable BUT as Kevin & others will point out - manoeuvres are secondary to achieving best results. The real objective is for the model to be in the right place, at the right time before starting the manoeuvre. If you can achieve that  - your manoeuvres will automatically improve.

Try this 'simple' exercise with your first battery of the session (especially if there's a x wind!) -

1. Fly a down wind leg at the height & distance at which you then intend to fly the next centre manoeuvre.
2. 1/2 reverse Cuban & fly into wind towards centre  - at the same height & distance as the downwind pass. Continue flying past centre to the box edge,
3. 1/2 reverse Cuban again & repeat downwind pass using same parameters.
4. Instead of 1/2 Cuban try a vertical end manoeuvre - to achieve passes at top level.

Please note - no scheduled manoeuvres are mentioned! Flying the above will really demonstrate the continuous small corrections required and the importance of end manoeuvres in enabling the model to be correctly positioned for the next all important centre manoeuvre.. If you can achieve the above, whereby corrections in all conditions become second nature  - your scores will improve since manoeuvres will also be easier.
« Last Edit: 21, May 2019, 12:14:35 pm by Stuart Mellor »

Offline Mike rieder

• Clubman Class Poster
« Reply #7 on: 21, May 2019, 12:36:55 pm »
Thanks Stuart, yes definitely what i am going to be working on (taking the advice from all at the weekend). As i might start thinking about the route to the intermediate schedule for myself. The above would not confuse me with additional maneuvers but would enable me to place them in the right position (when im ready to start practicing the schedule).

I assume the turnaround exercise you and Adrian endorse will also be good to use for fine tuning the trim? as i am needing to work on moving my C of G back a bit to reduce/ remove the rudder elevator mix I have in on knife edge, as per a conversation i had with Gerhard F (it was his plane before i bought it off him) and i want to work on the ESC brake and throttle curve settings as this is one of the learning's again from the weekend, that i need to improve on.
I appreciate that i would need to do some trimming passes ie in knife edge etc to get it close, but the turnaround routine would allow me to see how the changes effect the overall feel of the plane.

thanks for taking the time to post, all very helpful.