News:

Please see posts regarding manoeuvre F-25.13

Next competition: 1st BMFA Centralised + UKF3A National League - 21st April - Hurley

Common geometry errors at Warboys comp

Started by Adrian Mansell, 14, May 2019, 09:34:34 PM

« previous - next »

Adrian Mansell

Trying to follow Stuart M's practice of highlighting common errors following a comp, here are three that I saw over and over again on Sunday  ::)

Mike Wood

Thanks Adrian ... I must stop following the dotted line!  :(

Mike

Peter Jenkins

Stuart Mellor

Hi Adrian -  agree with the comments - with the following additional observations, if I may.

The 45degree & 'different' radius observations. I find these elements to be the hardest to judge ( & probably to fly).

My profession as a surveyor meant an intimate knowledge of measuring/setting out angles - but does that help? - not one bit! Angles 'in the sky' don't bear much relation to ground based angles - especially where perspective takes effect - i.e at ends of the box. And as to the 15degree rule - I defy anyone to assess an exact 15 degree error properly. I  use my 'spin' argument - it has to look like 45 degrees!

If you stood at the end of the box & looked squarely at any angle  - it would probably look totally different from what the pilot/judge sees.

Also  - the consistent radius issue. The rules obviously refer to consistent radii in the same manoeuvre (not throughout the schedule)- but I do find difficultly in the downgrades unless the difference is large....... so I tend to give a bit more credit than perhaps I should.

Keith Jackson

Hi All,
Just adding that despite your best efforts to maintain geometry, wind effects can completely screw things up, as shown in my interpretation of the golf ball from an earlier P schedule

Keith

Alan Williams

These observations really do help. Some of us are forced to practise alone most of the time and seeing the errors in geometry is almost impossible. At Skelbrooke, Stuart was able to point out some obvious issues that I had and whilst implementing his suggestions is not proving easy, I do at least have a direction  of travel.
Please Judges, keep 'em coming.
Don't talk to me about golf balls, it's in A20 and I can't do it even in a dead calm.

Al.

Stuart Mellor

hi Alan. Just remember Skelbrooke! I think the main issue you had was not using the full box. Flying too close shortens the manoeuvring zone a lot. That means every manoeuvre is then rushed & error compounds on error. Better to buy 'time' by flying deeper.
As skills improve - then bring in the manoeuvres if you can.

Don't forget the pilot's prime task is to 'display' the manoeuvres to best advantage for the judges & I have never agreed with the arbitrary 'distances' set by the S/C. They are just impossible to assess. I think the previous statement is better. 

I noticed at Hurley that George Drever was flying at a distance he thought was too deep - BUT the judges had an excellent view of the manoeuvres......... & I think he scored better for that.

Alan Williams

Stuart,
Yes The advice you gave me has been well remembered and (I hope) been acted upon, certainly at the champs this weekend I think I made a better fist of A20. It was one of the reasons I posted here as the input from you all is worth many hours of unfocused practise.

Thanks
Al

Mike rieder

Quote from: Keith Jackson on 16, May 2019, 09:25:41 AM
Hi All,
Just adding that despite your best efforts to maintain geometry, wind effects can completely screw things up, as shown in my interpretation of the golf ball from an earlier P schedule

Keith

Keith, could you let me know where i would get the program you drew your diagram on? as i wanted to have a try at drawing one for the Turnaround exercise Adrian and Stuart endorse.

Keith Jackson

Hi Mike,
Its Corel Draw 10 but any version can do it. Alan Simmonds is the past master at doing this so it might be worth asking him how he did it; you can pm him on this forum

Thanks

Keith