Author Topic: Notaumatic System  (Read 1118 times)

Online Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
Notaumatic System
« on: 22, July 2019, 07:23:24 pm »
Just a few personal comments on the Notaumatic system:
Have judged using the system at 3 comps this year -Skelbrooke, Ashbourne & Leicester.

At Skelbrooke the system worked well with just a few delays necessary when changing schedules. Currently using the wifi set up -the units have to be switched off whilst schedules are changed by mobile phone. (this is where my technical knowledge of the system expires). Matt & Bob achieved this with only an acceptably short delay.

Ashbourne: Phil Lewis was the 'guru' in charge of the system. Just a few glitches prior to the start & the only issue I had was the 'till' roll expiring during the first round.

Leicester: Phil again in charge of the system (thank goodness) . This time multiple breakdowns of the system on a regular basis. We had 3 units & the trick was to keep 2 working through a round. One unit I had refused to print anything out other than a series of zeros...….
Then both units that Garry & I were using decided to give up the ghost at the same time - resulting in us both reaching for score sheets & no scribes of course...…
The other unit I was using resulted in it giving me erroneous manoeuvre prompts on the last 2 manoeuvres on both P-19 & Intermediate schedules. e.g instead of square loop - I heard "flight number...…..".Weird.

Felt sorry for Phil - who had to be constantly on hand to sort things out. I reckon he's going to get mightily p****d if he has to do that at all the comps he attends AND fly. Trouble is  - there is nobody else in the Association who can sort it. (Apart from Matt)

Conclusions so far:

1. It's early days I know - but when the units are working reliably - they can be a boon to a CD. We are some way off that.
2. Luckily all the validated scores were transmitted correctly, so results were correct, I believe.
3. Just hope the units are guaranteed!
4. The next manoeuvre prompts are a boon - but no where as good as a scribe. Unfortunately no thinking time is allowed i.e you cannot delay a score -the system won't let you. The only way is to modify a score after the flight - which can be a pain. The system only provides prompts -so a thorough knowledge of the schedule is paramount - there is no scribe to ask for any information.
5. The system is designed, primarily, for the FAI 1/2 point deduction system -where minor deductions can be easily achieved with the "-" button on the unit -which means you do not need to look down at the unit. Problems arise though where 'major' mistakes occur & the need to say give, say, a 4 point reduction. This means pressing the button 8 times! whilst maintaining concentration on the rest of the manoeuvre. Impracticable - so inevitably means looking down at the unit & taking eyes off the model when entering a score.

6. Luckily we have avoided a 'refly' situation - but it will happen though. Not so important at domestics - but team selection is a different matter.

7. One mod I thought of was using a 'brail' type of button identification - so perhaps some buttons could be identified by feel....

Obviously we don't know of any problems other users are having (if any) or if it's just our units which are problematic; or indeed whether its the wifi link, sd card (which houses the schedules) or quality issues with the units themselves. (Probably some of each)
What I do know is - if the problems are not sorted C.D.'s will eventually decide what's best for them, probably dependent on  whether Phil or Matt is in attendance!

ps - sorry if you read this post uncompleted - but the site crashed on me again...
« Last Edit: 23, July 2019, 11:01:36 am by Stuart Mellor »

Online Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
Re: Notaumatic System
« Reply #1 on: 30, July 2019, 09:35:30 pm »
Looks like the Chinese have their own scoring system.....

Offline Phil Lewis

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Masters Pilot
« Reply #2 on: 31, July 2019, 12:51:09 am »
No idea why but they aren't 2.4 Ghz antenna, look more like 900 Mhz.

Phil

Online Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: 05, August 2019, 11:22:24 am »

Mansfield 4-8-19.
Thanks to Phil & plenty of hours reprogramming & testing the units - almost faultless operation of the Notaumatics. Just one glitch when my unit stopped working in P-19 mode. (its pays to have scoresheets as well just in case)

Other than that - no other observed problems.(at least for the judges).

ps - Phil will correct me if I've got this wrong - but it looks like the units rely on earlier versions of software to operate correctly -.i.e. deleting the latest software & reinstalling it won't work - files may be required from earlier versions that are not present on the updates.... we are all somewhere on the curve!

« Last Edit: 05, August 2019, 08:23:53 pm by Stuart Mellor »

Offline TomLaird

• Masters Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 28, June 2020, 12:00:53 pm »
Hi,
Accepting that we have not had much opportunity this year, are there any updates on the user experiences please.
thanks
Tom
« Last Edit: 28, June 2020, 12:29:27 pm by TomLaird »

Online Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #5 on: 01, July 2020, 09:36:56 pm »

hi Tom. Just to let people know - I know Phil has contacted you.

Offline TomLaird

• Masters Class Poster
« Reply #6 on: 03, July 2020, 01:54:17 pm »
Hi Stuart,I had a good informative and very useful chat with Phil. Thank you for your help in this.brTom

Offline TomLaird

• Masters Class Poster
« Reply #7 on: 26, August 2020, 12:03:20 pm »
Hi,
Our system has arrived and is working well. I've run a couple of dummy comps since we have not been able to hold any real ones yet, and it all seems to work as expected. The "Next Competition" module seems to work well. The next software update will allow uploading the results to a web site so looking forward to that one.

There is additional documentation here for anyone who is not aware of it but I'm told it needs updating:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bdok6rRAjOfWaIvCXt-vo-e8Rh73Zt4-?usp=sharing

Keep posting your experiences so we can all benefit:https://www.facebook.com/groups/462498577459534

br
Tom