Author Topic: Notaumatic System  (Read 382 times)

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: None
  • Other Status: None
Notaumatic System
« on: 22, July 2019, 07:23:24 pm »
Just a few personal comments on the Notaumatic system:
Have judged using the system at 3 comps this year -Skelbrooke, Ashbourne & Leicester.

At Skelbrooke the system worked well with just a few delays necessary when changing schedules. Currently using the wifi set up -the units have to be switched off whilst schedules are changed by mobile phone. (this is where my technical knowledge of the system expires). Matt & Bob achieved this with only an acceptably short delay.

Ashbourne: Phil Lewis was the 'guru' in charge of the system. Just a few glitches prior to the start & the only issue I had was the 'till' roll expiring during the first round.

Leicester: Phil again in charge of the system (thank goodness) . This time multiple breakdowns of the system on a regular basis. We had 3 units & the trick was to keep 2 working through a round. One unit I had refused to print anything out other than a series of zeros...….
Then both units that Garry & I were using decided to give up the ghost at the same time - resulting in us both reaching for score sheets & no scribes of course...…
The other unit I was using resulted in it giving me erroneous manoeuvre prompts on the last 2 manoeuvres on both P-19 & Intermediate schedules. e.g instead of square loop - I heard "flight number...…..".Weird.

Felt sorry for Phil - who had to be constantly on hand to sort things out. I reckon he's going to get mightily p****d if he has to do that at all the comps he attends AND fly. Trouble is  - there is nobody else in the Association who can sort it. (Apart from Matt)

Conclusions so far:

1. It's early days I know - but when the units are working reliably - they can be a boon to a CD. We are some way off that.
2. Luckily all the validated scores were transmitted correctly, so results were correct, I believe.
3. Just hope the units are guaranteed!
4. The next manoeuvre prompts are a boon - but no where as good as a scribe. Unfortunately no thinking time is allowed i.e you cannot delay a score -the system won't let you. The only way is to modify a score after the flight - which can be a pain. The system only provides prompts -so a thorough knowledge of the schedule is paramount - there is no scribe to ask for any information.
5. The system is designed, primarily, for the FAI 1/2 point deduction system -where minor deductions can be easily achieved with the "-" button on the unit -which means you do not need to look down at the unit. Problems arise though where 'major' mistakes occur & the need to say give, say, a 4 point reduction. This means pressing the button 8 times! whilst maintaining concentration on the rest of the manoeuvre. Impracticable - so inevitably means looking down at the unit & taking eyes off the model when entering a score.

6. Luckily we have avoided a 'refly' situation - but it will happen though. Not so important at domestics - but team selection is a different matter.

7. One mod I thought of was using a 'brail' type of button identification - so perhaps some buttons could be identified by feel....

Obviously we don't know of any problems other users are having (if any) or if it's just our units which are problematic; or indeed whether its the wifi link, sd card (which houses the schedules) or quality issues with the units themselves. (Probably some of each)
What I do know is - if the problems are not sorted C.D.'s will eventually decide what's best for them, probably dependent on  whether Phil or Matt is in attendance!

ps - sorry if you read this post uncompleted - but the site crashed on me again...
« Last Edit: 23, July 2019, 11:01:36 am by Stuart Mellor »

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
Re: Notaumatic System
« Reply #1 on: 30, July 2019, 09:35:30 pm »
Looks like the Chinese have their own scoring system.....

Offline Phil Lewis

• Advanced Class Poster
  • Flying Class: Masters Pilot
« Reply #2 on: 31, July 2019, 12:51:09 am »
No idea why but they aren't 2.4 Ghz antenna, look more like 900 Mhz.

Phil

Offline Stuart Mellor

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: 05, August 2019, 11:22:24 am »

Mansfield 4-8-19.
Thanks to Phil & plenty of hours reprogramming & testing the units - almost faultless operation of the Notaumatics. Just one glitch when my unit stopped working in P-19 mode. (its pays to have scoresheets as well just in case)

Other than that - no other observed problems.(at least for the judges).

ps - Phil will correct me if I've got this wrong - but it looks like the units rely on earlier versions of software to operate correctly -.i.e. deleting the latest software & reinstalling it won't work - files may be required from earlier versions that are not present on the updates.... we are all somewhere on the curve!

« Last Edit: 05, August 2019, 08:23:53 pm by Stuart Mellor »