Author Topic: Latest News on the Drone Laws Saga  (Read 431 times)

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • Flying Class: FAI Pilot (P)
  • Other Status: FAI Pilot (P)
Latest News on the Drone Laws Saga
« on: 12, September 2019, 12:30:22 am »
Dave Phipps has just posted an update on this situation.  You can read it here.

It would appear that Failing Grayling's successor, Grant Shapps has taken a more enlightened approach to the issue.  Worth a read.

Offline Pittsartist

• Advanced Class Poster
Re: Latest News on the Drone Laws Saga
« Reply #1 on: 18, October 2019, 09:33:29 pm »
Was listening to a prog on the radio a few days back (BBC, but cant remember exactly what - maybe something about Jessops going bust ?)

Chap being interviewed was saying the UK drone market was saturated and "consumer" drone sales turnover was down nearly 70% on 3 years ago.

"market leader DJI know this and are now concentrating more on larger "commercial" drones and smaller "racing" drones"

..... Maybe we're already past the "peak drone" high water mark ?.

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: 18, October 2019, 11:43:31 pm »
I don't think being past "peak drone" for hobby users is the issue.  There are a good many commercial applications of drones, some of which I worked on before retiring.  These include: agriculture (crop health and when to apply water and feed), pipeline and transmission line monitoring, military uses for training on the UK Mainland for example.

I had some dealings with Northrop Grumman on the use of Global Hawk by the RAF.  The idea was to base it at Boscombe Down as every time it took off, the airspace had to be closed to allow a climb to 65,000 ft.  The GH could then transit to Cyprus, do a 6 or 7 hour duty there and then recover to the UK when once again the airspace had to be closed to allow it to spiral down from operational height to land.  Interestingly, one GH sortie lasting 24 hours would be able to cover the entire UK fisheries area.  Contrast that with each area being paid a visit once a year as was the then practice.  I would have thought such surveillance of our fishing area would be ideal for post Brexit - but that's another story.

If we then factor in the wretched Amazon delivery drones I can only see the demand for airspace for drones growing in the coming years.  It will be up to us to make sure that we lobby to protect our own airspace and ensure that the commercial interests do not win out.

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
« Reply #3 on: 19, October 2019, 07:07:53 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50070815

The public perception of drones would seem to have changed with recent events in the news.

https://dronesafe.uk/

m

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #4 on: 19, October 2019, 07:40:45 am »
Mike, that will have little impact on those who buy from the internet but as I've said above there is likely to be a much bigger impact by bona fide commercial "drone" operations in the future. Ignorance, or wilful disregard, of regulations is unlikely to be the attitude of a commercial operator - more likely by hobby or nefarious types - IMHO!  The public perception swings between killer drones or the current nuisance types - possibly the Amazon delivery nonsense as well.

Offline Mike Wood

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
  • F3A Precision Aerobatics
« Reply #5 on: 19, October 2019, 10:42:08 am »
Hi Peter

Agree, nice summary  :)

Mike

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #6 on: 21, October 2019, 06:51:57 pm »
The CAA has just published its latest on the implementation on the Drone Regs and the BMFA has published a News article - see here.

Looks like the input by Grant Shapps has resulted in a pretty good outcome.

Basically, if you have a BMFA A you don't have to do the on-line test (I had a go at it and it's difficult to fail it if you can read and understand - some might even find it easier than doing an A Test!).

As for registration, provided you give the BMFA permission and pay the registration fee with your membership fee, they will register you with the CAA for the end of Jan 2020.  I saw somewhere that the registration fee will be £9.

Good outcome - well done the BMFA and Dave Phipps in particular.

Peter

Offline Nigel Armstrong

• GBRCAA Member
  • Masters Class Poster
  • Other Status: None
« Reply #7 on: 22, October 2019, 05:17:33 pm »
For those of you who have not seen the latest announcment regarding the registration scheme can I  suggest you go onto the BMFA website.  To me this looks like very good news.

Offline Peter Jenkins

• GBRCAA Member
  • FAI Class Poster
« Reply #8 on: 22, October 2019, 07:09:30 pm »
Hi Nigel, that was where my link took you - if you had  clicked on it!