Intermediate schedule takeoff manoeuvre

Started by Mike rieder, 06, November 2019, 07:21:36 PM

« previous - next »

Mike rieder

Not sure who to talk to re the following? But ive moved up to intermediate and I find the take off manoeuvre, how do i put it, a bit odd. As it seems to take you a long way out (to do properly) and not in the style of the other manoeuvres, or any that are likely to be in higher schedules.     

I dont now even bother to practice it as I just waste battery power that i could put towards practicing the full manoeuvres.

I understand the logic in being marked on takeoff at this level but surely a good takeoff then a race track turn to centre at the start hight and distance that your first manoeuvre will be (after a turnaround, un marked) would make more sense, reduce the time taken and space needed.

Just a thought so please dont shoot me down and quite happy to do it and loving the rest of the schedule as a really good workout for me.

Alan Williams

I suppose you could do a short crosswind and a very tight 270 turn, that would save the batteries.
Have fun
Al

Ashley Hoyland

Hi Mike

Its progress.  Accuracy is the thing here and it takes practice and a good one will impress the judges.

The history is that it used to be the same for all schedules (except Clubman) but the FAI and then the GBRCAA decided not to mark takeoff and landings for the FAI schedules.

Hope this helps.

Ashley

Stuart Mellor

Hi Mike. Ashley is correct in that the Intermediate 'turn' is a throwback to the days when all take offs were marked. Clubman was made a little easier.
These days I think there is a case for just one take off & landing sequence that everyone understands - since take offs/ landings are dropped in the later schedules. I never thought the clubman take off did clubman people any favours..... since it means a very short crosswind leg before turning downwind.
It would just require a proposal for the AGM to change it......