News:

Next competition: 1st BMFA Centralised + UKF3A National League - 21st April - Hurley

Too much spare time.

Started by AW2, 27, June 2020, 01:53:05 PM

« previous - next »

AW2

Anyone have any previous experience, or comments, with this add-on?

Peter Jenkins

Are you referring to the rudder TE plate Alan?

AW2

Peter Jenkins

Hmm.  I think that's an Element I see.  I've not noticed a need for one on my Agenda but then it could be I haven't noticed there is a problem!  Has it made a difference to directional stability Alan?

AW2

An Element indeed Peter---sharp observation there!
Never been impressed with it in terms of being locked in to the rudder, so thought I'd give it a try.
Tried it briefly yesterday, but the heat and humidity curtailed my efforts.

Mike Wood

Will be interested in what you find when time and weather gods permit.

Mike

Stuart Mellor

Hi Alan. What's the power source?

AW2

Plettenberg,Stuart, with a falcon 21.5x13 mainly.
Oh, and spin99/throttle tech.

Stuart Mellor

Ah - so its the contra design - but using a single prop.

Is it your own designed addition? - it does seem a bit narrow chord from the photo to make a noticeable difference.

Just wondering - that contras are known to require extra area behind the cg but don't know of any adverse affects when using single drives on a contra design.

AW2

I think the Element started off as a single prop design actually.
I think own design is a bit of an overstatement really, Stuart, it's just "add a bit (4mm each side) to increase the drag at the back and suck it and see"
First impression was that it "seemed" a bit more locked in, and ,to my surprise, it created quite a strong pitching up moment(no idea why.)

Peter Jenkins

I don't know what the differences are between the Agenda and the Element but I have found that when changing from the Citrin to the Agenda, I found that a vertical upline was more difficult to nail but once the attitude was spot on the upline was dead straight.  Downlines don't seem to be a problem either nor does S&L.  I wonder what's different between the two that's causing the difference?  It doesn't have to be a big change, as some small variation can have a big effect.

The other thing I noticed was that the Agenda felt heavier to fly than the Citrin.  I suspect this is due to greater aerodynamic damping on the Agenda.  Now when I go back to the Citrin I feels positively skittish in comparison.  My gut feel is that the Agenda design is responsible for most of its characteristics rather than the contra.  Just my views.

Steve Bassett

The Element was indeed originally designed as a mono prop
The following info was gleaned from a couple of US forums when the Element was first introduced (by Andrew Jeskey)
It is based on the Essence with the wing moved up 2" for more axial rolls
The Agenda wing was used as that presents better in the Air
Larger ailerons for faster snaps (anyone that has seen Jeskey's snaps can attest they are fast !)
Standard elevators and removal of 8 degrees of anhedral for lower mixing and better looks on the ground !
Steve

AW2

Quote from: SAB on 28, June 2020, 01:06:55 PM
The Element was indeed originally designed as a mono prop
The following info was gleaned from a couple of US forums when the Element was first introduced (by Andrew Jeskey)
It is based on the Essence with the wing moved up 2" for more axial rolls
The Agenda wing was used as that presents better in the Air
Larger ailerons for faster snaps (anyone that has seen Jeskey's snaps can attest they are fast !)
Standard elevators and removal of 8 degrees of anhedral for lower mixing and better looks on the ground !
Steve
Thanks Steve
Have you finally finished and flown yours now?
Also, I can no longer remember AJ's original power set up, contra or mono, but I think he also added a small ventral sub fin just in front of the tailwheel, ostensibly to improve tracking through corners (and if I remember right, particularly on pushed ones).
Mine seemed better with that addition, and so (as I said, with too much spare time),I'm wondering if there can be a little further improvement with a drag strip on the rudder T/E.

Steve Bassett

Alan,

Almost !!! - It's built (well it's been built for almost 2 years) just final set-up etc to do, expectation to maiden in next couple of weeks.

Original one was Mono prop, Pletty Advance I think, Contra version came out about a year later and with that came all the additional fins etc.

Steve